What should I buy next?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by er1k, Dec 9, 2008.

1. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

I am stuck. I don't know what I want to buy next, it's either between the Flex VRG 3404 or an Infratech (sp?). Right now my setup is a good old PC and some halogens. Obviously the prices are a little different but other than that what do you think I should get? And if you have a minute include an explanation!

Thanks
    Erik

2. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

What exactly is the Infratech? I'd do that first if it is a depth gauge so you don't have any costly accidents.

3. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

4. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

I bought one from phil. Great light.

5. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

FLEX all the way!

6. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I say get the rotary.

With a Flex, can you change the backing plate, or are you stuck with theirs? Seems like I remember something like the Flex not having the option to use a different backing plate. If that's true, I'd take the Flex off the list, and look at a Makita instead.

7. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Thats the 3401 that doesn't have the interchangeable backing plate. The Flex rotary can use any bp that any other rotary can use. I would go with the Flex because you can always make do with the halogens but the PC will never come close to the ability of the rotary. Also you could spend about $20 and pick up a brinkman to add to your halogens and have a great compliment of lights.

8. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Like JL said, that is the 3401.

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Anyone have a link to a brinkman?

9. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

When I buy the Flex, is there any reason to keep my PC or should I sell it?

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I would get the Flex for sure. I managed to survive 14 years with nothing more than halogens and a rotary. I would also spend the $25 on a Brinkman. Great light. Just do a search for Brinkman Dual Xenon. Some guys use the rotary for polishing bumper skins as they are plastic and don't take too much heat very well. If you dial your rotary down to 900-1000 rpm you will be fine as well.

11. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Id get a Makita. Flex makes this really high pitch sound. After a while my ears start to hurt.

12. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Okay so I am set on the Flex, hopefully I will be getting it within the next month. But I can't find a Brinkman!

Edit: Nevermind, all I had to do was go to google..

13. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I just got one from Walmart.

Brinkmann dual krypton for 14.97.

I couldn't find the dual Xenon one, only the dual krypton. I figure it should work fine though.

14. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I sold mine, and quickly came to regret it, so I bought another. Count me among the people who are a bit nervous around plastic things like mirror housings and bumper covers. I picked up another PC, with 4" pads and backing plate, for this very reason. The small pads correct a little better on a PC, and I'm only using it in tight areas anyway.

15. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Okay so after reading a thread it seems like the Makita is a better machine. I would say that from now until next fall I'm hoping to detail 20+ cars..

16. razr007

razr007 Banned

clay clay an more clay lol

17. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

rather have a makita or a metabo than a flex.. probably a makita since it doesn't overheat as easily esp on the newer stickier clear coats..

18. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

It's looking like I'll be getting the Makita!

19. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

excellent choice!!!

20. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Yup...Now you're taliking. I was worried for a minute. Now we all know how smart you really are...:thumb: