what products do you guys recommend for this??

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Lito, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Lito

Lito Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hi!

Well, I have some BAD caked on tree sap on the roof of my A4 and on the windshield... I've tried some CG Grime Reaper, with "some" luck... the sap starts to "bleed" but never gets fully soft to be removed...

I was thinking something along the lines of Tardis (not available on the US :( )...

Please, understand that I'm outside the US, and I can get pretty much any product from the US... i can't buy aerosol products :( so no tarminator for me..

Let me know what should I try!

2. CU2MIKE

CU2MIKE Guest

Try white vinegar
    Put vinegar on a MF towel, cover the towel directly over the tree sap, I'd say check every 5 seconds or so and see if it improves.
    I know white vinegar is good for removing water spots, maybe it'll work for tree sap too?

3. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

3M general adhesive remover spray on the area let it sit for a little a minute or two this should break down the sap then wipe it using light pressure it my need several applications but it will work. Use out of direct sunlight. I also suggest washing the vehicle first to get the sap wet and to help it break down. Then use 3M general adhesive remover. You could also try using the plastic razor blades the Phil carries with the 3M

4. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Yup, 3m adhesive remover shouldn't be too hard to acquire. An aggressive clay bar might help as well. More than likely you will need to utilize some machine polishing for the remnants of it.

5. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

^+1

and... i've found autoglym srp to be really good (if let dwell) on road tar and tree sap

6. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

best and easiest way to remove tree sap is isopropyl alcohol (91%). can get it at any drug store for just around a dollar a bottle. just get a microfiber, and soak an area of the towel with it. then, hold the saturated part of the towel on the tree sap for about 30 seconds. this will start to break it down, then you should be able to gently wipe it away. works every time.

7. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Stoner's Tarminator has always been a favorite of mine for this sort of thing.

8. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

+ for tarminator. get MF and spray tarminator on tar, let it sit for a min and wipe off, repeat untill tar or sap is gone, i sprayed some on mf towel and rubed it on sap carefully untill i got most of it. then let it sit till sap was easy to wipe off without rubbing paint. removed year old sap

9. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

sadly lito cant buy tarminator as its aerosol products :(

10. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i had good luck with turtlewax tar remover. some sap requires different chemical to remove it. tarminator doesnt work 100% of the time

11. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Agreed

Sent using Tapatalk

12. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I'm wondering if kleen strip prep all would work here...

13. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

isopropyl alcohol always works, and most of us should have it anyway. just use that.

14. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

tarminator! best stuff I have ever used

15. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

i think he mentioned he can't import aerosol

16. Lito

Lito Any Rag Vehicle Washer

WOW the IPA did it!!! it's just going to be a PITA to do the whole roof :)

Thank you all for the quick responses!!!

17. sarah_whitlow

sarah_whitlow Virgin Detailer

Try superior quality car detailing products built with latest green cleaning technology. It will definitely give you perfect cleaning result.

18. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

If you have a Lowes or Home Depot type of store - get some Goo Gone. I cleaned an elderly Pontiac that had sat under the same tree for 3 friggin years. You couldn't even tell the true color anymore. Goo Gone cleaned up nicely! But, you're going to have to wash with a strong soap afterwards and apply a good sealer or wax.