What polish for a Noobie?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by sal329, Apr 22, 2008.

1. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

What polish would you recommend for a newbie with a PC? Looking to remove swirls and scratches.
    Thanks

2. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

There was literally just a thread about it. Try searching in this section.

3. Usjdmtuner

Usjdmtuner Wax on..Wax off

Hey Sal... welcome..there is no such thing as polish for newbies.. there are so many good products that you can use and use the most trusted ones.. Call Phil @DetailersDomain and he can arrange something for you...
    ....When I started I went with Menzerna Intensive polish and Final Polish and a whole array of foam pads for my PC.... Meguiars have their own polish system..and 3M finesse/ultrafina line... To start of, stick with the good quality ones like I mentioned... Just go through POLISHING thread and you will see alot of reviews. It is better if you test them yourself to see which is good for your application so have fun and enjoy detailing!!! if you have anymore questions, this is a good forum to ask..

4. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I have been really thinking of Danase swirl abolisher, Menz, 1E and Pinnacle XMT.... Wish I could just buy em all lol.

5. Nica

Nica Banned

I would have to agree with Usjdmtuner, can't go wrong with Menzerna and 3M...but it's practice/trial and error that will get you the results your after.

I tried the XMT line before, it's okay but I would consider it to be a beginers line..oh wait that's what your asking lol...then it's fine :doh: Thing with XMT line up is that it's meant for machines such as PC, basically all DA machines you'll be able to use the XMT line...but I wasen't really satisfied with the end results..once you go Menzerna, you wont go back to any other product :nod:

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I agree with Nica and Usjdmtuner, I would just add one more and that would be Meguirs M105 and then all you really need is a finish polish like 106FF, 85rd, or 3M Ultrafina. This way you dont have to buy a bunch of polishes. M105 and finish polish should be able to take care most of your details.

7. Strokin04

Strokin04 Birth of a Detailer

Would M105 be overkill for minor to moderate swirls that a finishing polish couldn't handle but a medium polish like SIP could? I have yet to use my sample of M105 but, from the pictures I have seen of other peoples polish jobs using M105 it does finish done real well.

8. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

I do love me some Menzerna.....

Rock Hill SC, you are 45 minutes from me....I'm in Gaffney.....Welcome to DB.....

9. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

No it wouldn't be overkill. Just use M105 and follow up with a finish polish and you will be good to go.

10. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

I started out with Poorboys swirl removers, then progressed to Mezerna products.

11. Strokin04

Strokin04 Birth of a Detailer

Thanks for the info. What type polisher/rotary and pads are you using with the M105?

12. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I use a rotary with 3M wool pads.

13. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I would think Optimum polish could be considered a newbie polish. It is more pad dependent and has a longer working time so not time critical.

14. HAN

HAN Birth of a Detailer

Poorboys SSR's are great for beginners, you'll get good results even if you overuse product (a typical newb mistake) and they work in the sun as well. Meguiars would be my second vote for a beginner, the 83+80 combo just works, and sometimes I need to go back to them when Menzerna is acting up.

Just my .02,

Pete