What is this paint defect?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by bwanderson79, Nov 15, 2009.

1. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I am currently working on a friends Lexus IS250 and there is what looks like eggshells cracking underneath the clearcoat.

Does anyone know what causes this defect and can it be repaired?

View attachment 1311

Attached Files:

2. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Looks like crow's feet. Has it been repainted?

3. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

Some car makers offer a paint guarantee. Tell your friend to look into it.

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I would agree with you on crow's feet.

5. bwanderson79

I am not familiar with what crow's feet is. Can you elaborate? To my knowledge it has not been repainted, its only two years old.

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

[​IMG]

They are small cracks in the paint, they can be caused by alot of heat focused in a small area, thick paint, bad paint prep. It has been known to happen to OEM finishes due to something going wrong at the factory, but most of the time it is seen in aftermarket paint jobs. Above is a pic of bad crow feet.

If it is two years old the paint warranty should cover it, just dont tell them you were polishing or buffing the car as they will blame it on that. Is this all over the car or just in that particular location?

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0901sr_help_with_troubleshooting_paint_problems/index.html

7. bwanderson79

There is one other spot that is similar on the hood of the car as well. Can this happen after the car leaves the factory? I guess one concern I have is being blamed for this once I return the car to the owner, even though I know I didn't cause it. Its not noticeable at all during the day, I only noticed under the halogens, after the first compounding step.

8. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i have couple small once on my fenders but they dont bother me that much. heard something about honda can take care of it. might look into it

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

The 40' motorcoach I recently did has this and the body shop manager explained it to me this way. Even though the vehicle is detailed regularly (gets 2 coats of Colli 2x a year ) the side that faces the sun is experiencing a lot more heating/cooling ( expanding and contracting ) of the vehicle surface and that is what is causing it in this case. The vehicle sits in the same spot all year round unless its on a road trip.

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Yes this could be a factory defect, and would present itself later on down the road. From some quick searching Honda has had some issues with this in the past. 911 also brings up a good paint, about thermal expansion and contraction of the paint, even though the expansion is small in a thin film like paint this could be relatively large. Also if the paint has a fast and sudden temp change this could also cause issues.

I am not going to say that compounding does not and could not do this but the changes are very low. Heat, by product of the friction, is general slowly increasing the temperature of the paint surface and more or less equally across the body panel unless you were to stop at one point for a long time. If it is in only one or two spots like you said, it may seem like a factory paint defect and would try to get it resolved as such, just leave the compounding part out when talking to the dealer.

11. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Crow's feet are a factory defect. My wife's Explorer suffers from it.