What got you into detailing

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by vrwm, Feb 2, 2008.

1. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

2. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

One of my older buddies detailed on the side and got me interested in it.

I started detailing on the side for family and friends when I was around 15 years old. It just kept getting bigger and bigger. Now I detail as my profession.

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

They were building the toll road right next to where I work. About 200+ vehicles got cement overspray. As opposed to let the hacks from Louisiana that were hired to clean up all those vehicles touch mine, I placed an order for a PC.

I have been keep my cars clean since day one though. Just never seriously before the above incident.

4. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

Naked women.

Seriously.

5. Cooter

Cooter Guest

LOL Grouse. Please elaborate on that one.

I got a new car a couple of years ago. I found AutoGeek one night at work. I saw souveran for the first time. I couldnt believe how much it was (Little did i know huh). Well, I started looking up info on it and found Autopia. Its been like ebola ever since. I've got enough detailing supplies for everyone in a mile radius around me. I've been like a big ole sponge. I just cant seem to read enough about products or try enough products. Its my hobby now and most ppl I know just dont understand. I like it, its relaxing.

6. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

I like curves, my wife has curves. since she would take offense if i started fondling other womens curves i don't. Hence i fondle the curves of cars.

Naked women are sill more fun, but cars are the next best thing

7. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

WOW that is an impressive detail. I would charge a hell of a lot to do that much work. All he would have to do is roll back the odometer and put her back on the lot and no one would know anyone ever used the car.
    hahahahaha

Personally, I think I always liked cleaning cars. I used to use Eagle one and TW. I got my first speeding ticker (photo radar), and I googled ways to prevent them..minus slowing down :p. Someone suggested photo blocker or something like that. Then someone on anther forum suggested Zaino...then someone said Meguair's was better than Zaino. I found Meguiars Online and I have been there since. :p to think it all started with a 300ZX and a can of gold class.

8. Cooter

Cooter Guest

+1 on that. Curves = Good

9. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

My story is similar to Cooter's. I bought a Honda CRX a few years ago that was in really really rough shape. I completely redid the car and after I had it painted black I went online looking for a good wax for black. I came across AG and Souveran. Bought the Souveran and it started from there.

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I have two tubs of Souveran and I still have not used it!!!

11. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

I was tought if you buy something take care of it! My father always washed and waxed the family cars twice a year. He thought me to do the same. It just stuck with me. :shrug: I used Liquid Glass for years. I bought a new car in and went searching for better products and found AG. That is when my OCD kicked in. :rollinglaugh: I thought I took care of my car, now I know I do! Thanks again to everyone for what you have tought me :thumb:

12. DLR Detailing

DLR Detailing Jedi Nuba

My start was very similar to most. Perhaps someday Doctors will finally discover that we all share the same genetice defect or something. :giggle:
    Anyway, took care of the family rides aa a teenager. That progressed into having one of the best looking rides at school. I would go as far as waxing the inside of the bed of my truck. Moved into my 1st house after I got married and did auto repair, body work and detailing on the side out of the detached 3 car garage to help make ends meet. The new garage was the reason we bought that house! I changed jobs, moved and got away from pay jobs for awhile. My "OCD" came back - built a seperate garage here at home and started a side business again. The only wrench turning I do now is on my own stuff. Sometimes I do strip out an interior for detailing though. :eek:mg:

Detailing is a form of therapy for me! I just happen to make a little money at it. :applause2:
    Dave

13. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

I first got into many years ago while in junior high back in Florida. My grades wasnt the best and played for the school football team but was borderline of being kicked off team due to my grades and always being in trouble with the law. My coach didnt want to lose me from the team so got me a job with his brother that ran a car wash operation thinking this would keep me from hanging out so much and enable me to concentrate more on school.

Still got in trouble and got dropped from team but continued working at this place for several years before moving to Ft walton Bch, Fl where I got a job in a bodyshop for a little while.

So basically my coach got me into this

14. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

I bought my GTO and wanted to keep it looking nice and not pay hackjobs to mess with it. Everyone knows that keeping a black car clean is a full time job. Figured I could do a better job taking car of my car than most of the "professional" places around town.

15. distrbd

distrbd New Member

I washed and waxed and buffed my cars for years but never realized that I was doing everything wrong !!!!until I bought a new car and got to know a detailing site called detail city .org .and the good members there put me straight!!then I fell in love with detailing and waxes and sealants ,I recognized detailing for what is ,,more of an ART than just shining cars.and the art supply stores are of course AG and Eshine.
    I still have a lot to learn.

16. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

17. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I take care of things I spend money on.. not just my cars.

I have gotten questions, comments, propositions regardind detailing for quite some time..When you have the cleanest car in the work lot and when you work in the auto field (car guys & gals) people notice the "cleanest car" 10 x's more

I had dome W&W's for people that would ask but never looked for clients, that evolved into researching & learning the ways of detailing (not just W&W's)

18. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

weel, for me was my second car, and first at the same time with leather interior. I was looking for best leather conditioner. and that's how I found Pinnacle...and then AG...

19. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

It was when I bought my first BLACK NSX and there were "scratches" on it. I took it to a couple of detailers and they couldnt take it off so I started researching.....

20. jfsully

jfsully Virgin Detailer

One word....insanity:applause2: