what gauge extension cord for the Flex 3401?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by aznives3, Mar 6, 2009.

1. aznives3

aznives3 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hey Guys, just wondering what grade of extension cord is ideal to use with the flex DA...

is 14 guage enough to keep the flex stress free? or do i need to get a 12 gauge?

2. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I really haven't had any trouble with my Flex using a 14 ga. over the past year and a half. Happy polishing!!!

3. Strs90

Strs90 Birth of a Detailer

I think the wiring in most houses today is 14 gauge.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

lol..I went a little over board, I purchased a 10 gauge extension cord for my Metabo, works fine but I think it's a tad over kill. In a positive note it works great for just about anything around the house :shrug:

5. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

14 AWG is good.

6. aznives3

ok sounds good, found a good deal on some 14 guage contractor grade extension cord so ill most likely be picking that up!

7. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

I use a 12 gauge for my Makita and PC. Best thing about it is that the PC did not melt another backing plate since I got that chord :headbang:

8. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Prime Wire & Cable Duplex GFCI (Ground Fault Indicator) - Junction Box with 6-Ft. Cord, Model# GF200806 Portable GFCI duplex receptacle detects power leaks and shuts off electricity in less than a second to prevent shock. Test and reset buttons Tough jobsite box with 6-ft. 12/3 SJTW power cord UL listed, meets OSHA standards.

Prime Wire & Cable 50-Ft extension - 12/3 Neon Power Cord — Blue, Model# NS514830 Bright NEON extension cord stands out for easy identification. 12 Gauge, SJTW, 3 prong cord features super-flexible vinyl jacket with a cold temperature rating of -31°F. LIGHTED connector indicates when power is on. Cord is water and flame resistant and rated at 15 amps, 125V, 1875 watts, UL listed and meets OSHA standards – Northern Tool Co - http://www.northerntool.com

9. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

BP's melting is from to much pressure being applied. Are you thinking the 12 AWG cord is keeping the motor cooler therefore not melting the bp? Well you can't over do it, but 14 AWG can handle the amperage that a buffer uses.

10. scot_w

scot_w Birth of a Detailer

It is a combination of amperage and the length of the extension cord:

16 Gauge Cords Any 16 gauge cord between 0 and 100 feet long will adequately handle tool loads up to 10 amps.

14 Gauge Cords Any 14 gauge cord between 0 and 50 feet long will adequately handle loads between 10 and 15 amps.

12 Gauge Cords If your tool load is between 10 and 15 amps and the length of the cord is 50 to 100 feet, you need a 12 gauge cord to safely power the tool.

11. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Don't know why you would need anything longer than 50ft for detailing. But thanks for clearing that up.

12. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Thanks scott, This is a big help. I use a 16 guage cord @ 50' and a 14 gauge cord any longer just to be safe...:thumb:

13. scot_w

scot_w Birth of a Detailer

I find that power is often very near 75-100' away when working on boats. Then you are dealing with a multi-strip or plugging and unplugging equipment.

14. aznives3

so by doing some searching looks like the flex 3401 only has about a 7.5amp load, so technically 16 gauge cords will work. i've got plenty of these, but meh, the 25 foot 14 gauge is only $9 anyways, wouldn't hurt to use it and help protect my investment :D thanks guys!

15. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Gotcha.