What first polish to use? (Black 08 Accord; Never polished/clayed)

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by mdt1308, Oct 22, 2011.

1. mdt1308

mdt1308 Virgin Detailer

Sorry no pictures..... :/ looks pretty similar to this
    [​IMG]
    but its a black 08 honda with quite a bit of swirls
    Should I pick up a bottle of powergloss in case I need it? I dont have a compound in my arsenal, and a yellow pad would be good for this right?
    I know the least aggressive should be used but just seeing what you guys thought.

Another question. When you guys get your pad/polish combo down, how many pads do you go through to get around the car? 1 for each polishing step?

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

When performing this level of polishing, you're typically trying to accomplish as much correction as you can while at the same time finishing down as well as is feasible for a 1-step polish.

Menzerna Power Finish PO203S and a Lake County (LC) Orange or a Green pad

Menzerna Final Finish PO106FA on a (LC) White pad

3. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I wouldn't go with a 1 step on this. I would do at least 2, being a black car that is heavily damaged, a 1-step simply won't bring back "enough." I suggest getting a compound and having a go at it with that, then finishing off with a finer polish.

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

As Joey said, a two step is more likely what you'll need if you are in fact trying to get some sort of correction. I would use Megs 105 ( available in 8oz bottles ) with a B&S Yellow to start. You'll need at least two pads as the foam tends to absorb a little product. Using a DA with also give you longer working time. Follow that up with Menz Power Finish on a B&S Green and you're golden. If you only have time or only care to one step it, get the Megs MF Cutting Disc 5.5" and D300 compound. :)

5. mdt1308

mdt1308 Virgin Detailer

yeah i was going to use a 2 step just didnt know if i should pick up a compound or just a medium and finishing polish. I didnt make myself clear in the OP. thanks for the advice

thanks 911, appreciate it

yep got what i was looking for. thank you