What does it look like when there is no paint left

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by clearedfortakeoff, Jul 27, 2011.

1. clearedfortakeoff

clearedfortakeoff Virgin Detailer

Hey guys I'm back from the great world of forum creeping with some more questions.

Here's the deal: I came home from college and the next day I wake up to find my dad has taken my car to "a great detailer shop". So, basically we drive up to pick up the car and I see someone washing a car with a stiff bristle brush and the guy working on my car with a rotary polisher and alot of product. So he finishes and the car looks good. There is some paint transfer that was gotten rid of and some bird etchings gone plus the trunk which is the major problem is now looking good. It rains the next day and the glaze washes off and the car looks like shit again but now has buffer trails and the bird etching also came back. What I thought was oxidation before seems to be lack of paint. So could anyone send me a picture of what paint wearing off looks like? I'll try and get some pictures for you all to enjoy tomorrow in the light but it really is just pitiful. If I'm unsure I guess I should stop experimenting with polishes and compounds by hand then too I guess. Please give me opinions of the next best step.

2. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Ouch, sorry to hear about your post-rain surprise. What color is your car?
    Pictures would be helpful.
    Where are you located, borrowing a paint thickness gauge from someone would be a good idea.

3. clearedfortakeoff

It's a Honda Accord in Pearl Grey. I can tell it has been repainted on the fading side though because there are runs behind the door handles. I am located in the south suburbs of Chicago. Pics will come when I have time.

Thanks for your reply!

4. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Oh wow..... there are alot of shitty shops in the Chicago area, a few great ones as well if you need more info pm me.

Sorry to hear about this man.

5. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

This is failing clear coat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

That is absolutely horrendous. I see oxidation, major scratching/swirling, bird bomb etchings.
    So, what did it look like before the shop detailed it?

7. astro_ng

astro_ng Jedi Nuba

Two different cars.

8. clearedfortakeoff

9. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Yep. This is my fiancee's car. I wish I know what I know now back when my friend attempted at fixing what I assumed was oxidation.

Since the detail the paint has gotten worse :(

Oh well; she is selling the car any ways very soon. I'm buying her a new car :D

10. clearedfortakeoff

Here are the afters! I washed the car this morning because of all the compounding dust everywhere and did a quik wax on it so this is after all that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the bird crap that did a magical disappear and reappear act
    [​IMG]

11. clearedfortakeoff

Oh and it's obvious to me now the rear left side of the car and the trunk has been repainted. Also, the trunk had some dent repair done to it because my friend ran into it and dented the **** out of it so it had to be structurally weak before. This is what I get for buying a used car.