What do you tape up?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by agpatel, Jun 15, 2009.

1. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

So I have searched around and tried to look at pics of people detailing to find out what most people tape up. So far I have seen tape off badges, around windows, any place you have rubber. But what about seams, such as door and hood, do you tape around them or not worry as you would have a line were you have correction and then no correction were the tape was.

2. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I tape what you have said and door handles. I do not tape up the seems for the reason you mentioned, you want to correct all the way to the edge of the body part.

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Do you go right up to the seem with the polisher or do you actually go over the seem with the polisher? I have been trying not to go over the seam as its thinner around the edge, so I just take the pad right up to it.

4. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I go over the seems, you need to becareful when using a foam pad and not let the edge grab the seem or it will damage the paint.

5. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I tape badges, door handles if they're not body color, the base of the mirrors, washer nozzles, antennas, and the rubber strips around the base of windows. I tape other items too, but they vary from car to car.

6. richy

richy Guest

It really depends on how workable the area is. If it's difficult, I will tape more. That's one of the benefits of having 3" pads too, because those will help you get into smaller areas that before you would have had to tape off. The G I did last week got no tape at all..it was easy to work on. The Bimmer got it around the windows and windshield. Don't underestimate smaller pads.

7. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I dont tape the gaps from the doors, trunk, hood, etc. If you're doing heavy compounding, it would be a good idea to open those doors and tape on the inside so you dont have as much polish to clean up in the jams later on.

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Thanks for the responses! Nice tip D&D!

9. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Just remember that since it is thinner, to work on it less. I'll usually VERY BRIEFLY go over it if I'm compounding, then use a finishing polish to clean it up. Or just use a finishing polish.