What do you guys use for odor control.

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by I VIK I, May 21, 2010.

1. I VIK I

I VIK I Two Bucket System Washer

I am not a professional detailer just a college kid into keeping a clean car. I own a 10 year ol car with a cloth interior and as the weather warms up the funky smells come back. I am not a smoker, nor do I eat in the car but its a nasty muggyness and I have to run the ac to get the smell to go away even when it isnt that hot outside. Please advise on what sort of products you use to keep things smelling fresh or just even keeping the odor away.

2. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

try something with an enzyme action in it? rent an extractor (carpet cleaner) if you need to, and pull your seats out. give the seats and carpet under the seats a good cleaning.

3. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

If the car has the smells in which you describe you can always place some baking soda under the seats to help draw the smells out. You might also want to check the cabin filter. My Golf is a 2000 and it has one, you will be amazed with how dirty it is.

4. I VIK I

The car doesn't have a cabin filter, and I live in NY where can I rent a extractor from? Do you guys consider a rug doctor a extractor? The hasn't really had any spills in but its a real musty smell. Any spray on? And can you be specific about which exact product you recommend because I don't know some of the terminology you pro's use, Thanks.

5. I VIK I

PS: Just saw extractors going for $500.00+ on autogeek, for someone like me that doesnt do it professionally its not worth to buy, where can I rent?

6. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

my local grocery story rents "Rug Doctor" extractors that have worked well for me in the past, before I bought my own equipment.

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

My son has just used this product on an neglected classic MB interior-

Odour Neutralizer / Deodorizing

PŪRWorld is a deodorizing application; Hydroxyl radicals are among the strongest oxidizing species, even much stronger than chlorine, ozone, and peroxide. They act as very powerful disinfecting agents by oxidizing the cells of microorganisms, causing rupture and leakage of vital composition. They accelerate the breakdown by destroying the molecular bonds. This will help combine the organic gases to form a single molecule that is not harmful to humans thus enhance the air cleaning efficiency.

Symptom that occurs from prolonged exposure to microbes that grow in automobile interiors, the presence of the microbes causes similar reactions as sick building syndrome. Some of the examples of odour molecules are: tobacco odour, formaldehyde, nitrogen dioxide, urine odor, gasoline, and many other hydrocarbon molecules in the atmosphere.

Generally speaking, disinfections by titanium oxides are three times stronger than chlorination, and 1.5 times stronger than ozone treatment. PŪRWorld provides photo catalyst surface coating for long-lasting effects of deodorization, sterilization, and anti-soiling purposes. Using specialized spray-coating equipments, a fine mist of photo catalyst can be applied on different types of surface material that guarantees the maximum result. Spray product onto cleaned surfaces, start the engine, turn on A/C unit in recirculation mode allow to run for a short while – DrivePur Protection Systems

8. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Air Conditioner Air cleaning

[Every time you use your air conditioner, you are providing an opportunity for odour causing mould, mildew and bacteria to grow within your air conditioning system. To explain how this happens we must understand how the air conditioner system works. Here’s a basic explanation. When the air conditioner is on, it pulls moisture out of your car’s interior through a unit called the evaporator core, which is located underneath your car’s dashboard. When the humidity (moisture) levels drop, the air temperature also drops. The moisture that is pulled from the air condenses and is drained outside the car.

Ever notice a pool of water under your parked car on a hot summer day? That’s the water that was drained from the system. This also happens to be the way home air conditioners and refrigerators work.

Even though most of the moisture is drained from the car, moisture still remains on the evaporator core system. As the air circulates around the evaporator core, dust and pollen in the air stick to the moisture on the metal fins of the evaporator. Soon thereafter mildew and bacteria begin to grow on the surface of the evaporator. This collection of grime and odour causing agents begin to release odour and is the cause of the smell coming out of your vents.

One way to help prevent or at least reduce this issue is to keep the air conditioner on the fresh air setting. This keeps fresh air circulating around the evaporator which helps keep it and the surrounding area dry thereby reducing the chance of any mould, mildew and bacteria from growing. However, there are two disadvantages to this method. First, it’s also not always convenient to switch to the fresh air setting in order to draw in hotter air to dry out the system. It just might be too hot or cold to be worth this extra effort. It’s also not economical. Second, allowing fresh air to flow in increases the accumulation of dust, pollen and brake dust build up. Of course if you have a cabin air filter you don’t have to worry about that since it will trap the pollutants before it reaches the evaporator area.

Another possible solution is to spray a disinfectant like Lysol® into the ventilation system or have your car treated with ozone or other similar system. However, this process does not affect any dust, pollen and other contaminants that have accumulated on the evaporator. While it may disinfect any mould, mildew and bacteria, the results are usually short term.] Clearing the Air, by Michael Mankarious

Always check the following; a/c condensate pan and drain pipe smells and odours, for ac odours use 1z Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioning Cleaner, an effective means for removing odour-causing bacteria, smoke fumes, fungi and other germs

It effectively disinfects mould, mildew and bacteria on the evaporator core. It also applies a thin layer of protectant that has been proven in laboratory tests which makes the growth of contaminants more difficult so the results are long lasting. The effective foam solution emulsifies the debris build up on the evaporator core so it’s cleaner and will run more efficiently.

Another significant benefit is the result of cleaner interior air. This is especially important for allergy sufferers who are sensitive to airborne contaminants. For those who are highly sensitive to chemicals, rest assured that Klima-Cleaner is a water- and salt-based cleaner so chances of any skin reaction is extremely minimal.

For fabrics and/ or carpets if nothing else has worked. Try a solution of one gallon of warm water, one half cup of ammonia, one quarter cup of vinegar, and one quarter cup of washing soda.

Odour Neutralizer

PŪRWorld is a deodorizing application; Hydroxyl radicals are among the strongest oxidizing species, even much stronger than chlorine, ozone, and peroxide. They act as very powerful disinfecting agents by oxidizing the cells of microorganisms, causing rupture and leakage of vital composition. They accelerate the breakdown by destroying the molecular bonds. This will help combine the organic gases to form a single molecule that is not harmful to humans thus enhance the air cleaning efficiency.

Symptom that occurs from prolonged exposure to microbes that grow in automobile interiors, the presence of the microbes causes similar reactions as sick building syndrome. Some of the examples of odour molecules are: tobacco odour, formaldehyde, nitrogen dioxide, urine odor, gasoline, and many other hydrocarbon molecules in the atmosphere.

Generally speaking, disinfections by titanium oxides are three times stronger than chlorination, and 1.5 times stronger than ozone treatment. PŪRWorld provides photo catalyst surface coating for long-lasting effects of deodorization, sterilization, and anti-soiling purposes. Using specialized spray-coating equipments, a fine mist of photo catalyst can be applied on different types of surface material that guarantees the maximum result – DrivePur Protection Systems

TOGWT ™ Ltd (Established 1980) © Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved

9. nothelle

nothelle Birth of a Detailer

Put coffee powder inside your car, that can be a simple solution to fight odor