What do you consider a maintenance wash?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by TheRustySuper, Oct 9, 2012.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I've had this question for a while now, and figured I'd go ahead and ask it. I hear everyone talking about how they do just "maintenance washes" on their cars/client's cars, but I have always wondered how exactly you define a maintenance wash. I always wonder what would be considered "too much" for a maintenance wash, and boarders into the realm of a full exterior detail. I always go back and forth with what I do on a maintenance wash based on time and the needs of the vehicle (just my personal vehicle, I do a specific list of things on clients' cars), but what about you guys? Is there a specific number of things that you do each time on a maintenance wash, or do you just do it all based on condition? i.e., do you always clean the wheel wells, wheel barrels, door, and trunk jambs; do you dress the exterior plastics, do you use a spray wax, do you clean/polish tailpipes, do you clean around plastic molding and lettering with a brush, do you clean the gas door area? I could go on I suppose, but I'll stop there :p

Thanks!

Clark

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I consider a maintenance wash as a two-bucket wash that removes surface dirt on all exterior surfaces (deeply embedded bug splats and backsides of wheel faces would not be included). A spray wax may be included in the drying step depending on pre-existing LSP. An interior floor vacuuming and dash dust removal with a product like 1Z Cockpit Premium would also be included.

Time frame for this type of work would be about 60-90 minutes.

3. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

Pretty similiar....my "maintenance" service includes:

Thorough vacuum
    wipe down of all interior surfaces (seats dash buttons vents, etc)
    interior windows

Exterior Duragloss rinseless wash with aquawax
    Wheels (barrels included), wheels wells
    Aquawax to paint , glass, wheels, and door jams
    tire shine

For 2 people on a small vehicle maybe 35-40 minutes tops. Larger vehicles such as SUV 1 hour 15 mintues tops maybe?

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

for me, I don't do allot of "maintance washes" but I have regular clients that I see every 3 months, cars are garaged and rarely driven. Usually all that is required is a proper wash, wipe down with QD or spray wax or the like, quick vacuum, dusting, dress the tires.

Anything above that (IE wax top off, excessive bug removal, stain removal, plastic cleaning etc) is considered a mini detail.

I guess time wise, if it exceeds two hours its no longer a maintenance wash. I take my time and work very slow........

I always try to do a little bit extra to keep them excited about keeping their cars clean and protected.