what clay do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by ampbmw, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I actually despite ANY opinion or bashing think Griot's Paint cleaning clay is one of the best clays of all time. call me crazy but try it b4 you do. You will be AMAZED at just how soft and malliable it is compared to even sonus green and swissvax even. It is easily said the mildest and softest clay, and they give you 400g instead of the usual 150-200 and it doesn't marr the surface at all. Swissvax paint rubber is a close second, but to me marrs slightly....adams clay is great for rough cars but it marrs like a mothers bar would....typical

at the end of the day w/e anyones opinion educated or not, I always reach for my griots clay b/c at 20 bucks I get tons but more importantly its the safest clay and is extremely effective for how mild it is. so i'd say griots for wash n waxes (no correction), adams if correcting and vehicle is sandpaper like, swissvax if your doing like Menz 85rd, and the surface is a little bumpy.

what u guys say?

2. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

If you like soft, try Ricardo clay!

I personally like Clay Magic BLUE best for the price.

Ill remember to order Griots next time I put in an order.

SW is actually harder to work with than SW, and 1/4 the price

3. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I say how much clay marrs depends on how you're using it and the paint its being used on. I have not experienced marring with the Mothers clay. At least no where near 4*, Wolfgang, and TOL. I imagine Adams is on par with those.

The next clay on my list to try is Swissvax. It sounds like I might have to try Griot's too. Ive never tried Pinn. poly, Sonus green, Clay Magic blue, or Megs.

4. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

Listen I am hardcore Swissvax, and love their clay....I'm just stating personal experience. I clayed one small area on my carbon Black M3 w/ swissvax and under the flourescents I saw some very slight marring but 85rd on the pc removed it fast...all im saying is then i tried griots clay and it was like i didnt even touch the paint. IDK what it is but its that way end of story

5. D&D Auto Detailing

OK, your posts in this thread make it sound like someone is arguing with you. No one is saying anything bad about Griot's.

6. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Basically all clay in the U.S. is made by Clay Magic. I use this blue clay, it doesn't say clay magic but it works, and I also have some riccardo clay which is way better. It bites better than the blue one I have.

7. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

My favorite thing about the Ricardo is how easy it is to remold the clay.

The downside is that its not good when the car is REALLY BAD and also it tends to leave more residue because its so soft.

But probably the BEST maint clay out there!

8. D&D Auto Detailing

Exactly. So how can all these different clays be different then Clay Magic blue and red?

9. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

It isnt that pleasant to work with in the Cold....I did some serious cold weather testing haha.. Claying is a no go in -15C.

Other than that, It might be my favorite clay. I like Meguiar;s blue as well.

10. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

I always wonder if the grey clays are between blue and red...but who knows, and then there's the very mild clays like sonus green and pinnacle's green. Other than that I guess there's minimal differences between brands.

11. D&D Auto Detailing

Every gray clay Ive used is aggressive. The clay I got from TOL is aggressive, but seems to be a little softer then 4* and Wolfgang. It might be my favorite aggressive clay so far. Its $15.95 for a nice 8 oz. bar, I cut that thing into 6 pieces.

12. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

That's cheap for 8 oz!

13. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

First of all, I don't like claying. As a matter of fact, I hardly ever clay unless it's REALLY necessary.

I have Zaino clay (it's not that great) and have the Pinnacle Poly clay (it's better) but in the future will just reach for the Clay Magic clay.

For me, it doesn't matter if clay marrs or not since I always follow up with a good polishing.

14. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

OK I'm with P1et here I really dislike claying and he brings up something I have wondered about for a while. Don't mean to hijack the thread but it's P1et's fault he brought it up :headbang:. For you guys that clay all the time, after claying do you rewash or if you are polishing just go to polishing? I've wondered about this for some time and was just too stupid to ask, thanks P1et for the intervention :woot:

P1et and I need someone to clay for us and we can just play with our yellow and black MF's while they do that!

15. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Any of you guys know here I can pick up riccardo clay in the US?

16. Showroom Shine

Showroom Shine Birth of a Detailer

I just bought some Pinnacle Clay. To cold to use it in Ohio. Have to wait until next season

17. D&D Auto Detailing

I cant believe you guys dont clay. IMO, thats one of the most important steps to get a proper finish. Every single car I do gets clayed.

I do not rewash after claying. I use my CG WnG in my foam gun. Im pretty sure I discussed with you how I did it. Whatever is left in the gun after claying, I soak the car with that, then pressure wash. Ive never experienced dried out clay.

18. Nica

Nica Banned

Man this is a very good topic, lots of good information being shared here :thumb:

I've tried a few clay bars my self. I've tried the Pinnacle bar, Meg's bar, Mothers bar, Ricardo, Clay Magic (red), Calgarydetail was kind enough to let me try the Swissvax clay bar too.

Out of all those that I've tried my two go to clay bars are Ricardo clay bar and the Clay Magic (red). Now the Red Clay Magic bar has a wicked bite to it, so wicked that it will induce micromarring but I don't mind inducing some micromarring becuase most of the time I'm polishing right after so it's all good. Ricardo is great but most of the vehicles I've done have been either neglected or have some serious contamination and need that little extra to remove it...but it is a great maintance clay.

Now claying in my opinion is crutial to get that flawless finish..I mean if you skip the claying part all those contaminants would just cause more scratches/marring...besides when you clay you get to feel the car out and I love that part :thumb: just my :2cents: that's all.

19. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I LOVE TO CLAY... It is very relazing to me and enjoyable to me

I like the sound it makes as it "shaves" off the contaminants and then the difference in sound/feel from the 1st pass (rough) to the last pass (butter).. Ohh yeahh, I love it.

I clay 95% of my jobs and build it into the price... the increased durability and overall apearance is well worth it.... and it really doesn't take that long at all!!

I use TONS of ONR as I clay.. I use clay magic, best bang for the buck.

When I move in with Nica and family I will be using the Ricardo..:woot:

20. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I've clayed many cars in the past. I just don't do it unless it's really necessary.