What causes the Halo ?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by kanz, Jan 26, 2009.

1. kanz

kanz Virgin Detailer

Is it a breakdown in a lsp? The last 2 cars I did looked great under the light but in about 3 weeks I started noticing the halo and orange peel s coming back. Could it be from the car washes?

Jimmy

2. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Halo?

You didn'tburn through the clear did you?

3. kanz

kanz Virgin Detailer

No No not at all. Looks like all the swirls are slowly coming back.

Jimmy

4. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

if they are new ones, its probably improper washing. if they are the ones you thought you got out and are now showing up, might be you covered them instead of removing them. what did you use as polish and such?

5. kanz

kanz Virgin Detailer

I used 3m finesse it and followed with nattys blue. When I hit the car with the light those swirls where not there.

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

The finesse it fills, so that is where you problem is, you washed it away and your holograms came back. What other polishes do you have so we can help you remove them?

7. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

Did you do a correction before this step (LSP)? Did you do a proper IPA wipe down?

8. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Maybe you didn't make sure you actually removed the defects. Sometimes the polish oils fill in the scratches. Maybe try a 50/50 Isopropyl/Water wipedown with no LSP on.

9. kanz

kanz Virgin Detailer

I did not do a IPA wipedown. I think you guys are right , i didnt correct the finish just filled them. I just purchased some PB SSR in 2.5 and 3. How come the fillers where not sealed in place by the LSP? Thanks,

Jimmy

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Your wash removed them.

11. kanz

kanz Virgin Detailer

Asphalt what do you think too strong of a mix? I use the Meguiars car wash and only use 1 capfull.

Jimmy

12. zoomzoom mazda5

Well that's the problem, your wash did it.

13. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

nothing will seal the fillers in. they will evaporate and or be washed off along with the lsp. you should get a good polish/polisher and for sure some sort of ipa for a wipe. after you polish do an ipa of the panel and make sure they are gone and not just filled.

14. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Angelo(zoomzoommazda) beat me to the answer.

15. kanz

kanz Virgin Detailer

I currently use my air DA as a polisher and it works fine. Thanks for all your help guys.

Jimmy

16. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I have used those at my friends paint shop, they have some big power.

17. Harleyguy

Harleyguy Any Rag Vehicle Washer

When do you suggest to do a wipe down like you mentioned.And how offen

18. zoomzoom mazda5

Before you polish for a clean surface, during polishing (to check you work) and after polishing before any LSP is put on.

19. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Holograms -

A pattern of small scratches left in a finished paint surface by the pad or sander during the sanding compounding and/or polishing operation;

a) Could be caused by not allowing a diminishing polish to fully break-down i.e. insufficient work time, the product should become somewhat transparent (i.e looks like thin cover of Vaseline)
    b) Dry buffing
    c) Using too much polish
    d) Not working a product long enough
    e) Using an overly aggressive pad
    f) RPM speed too high
    g) Pad angle (keep the foam pads flat) etc.
    h) A finishing foam pad and polish should remove them