What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by GTIDamien_407, Oct 16, 2011.

1. GTIDamien_407

GTIDamien_407 Birth of a Detailer

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    after:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What am I doing wrong? It looks like I'm getting pretty good results but I keep leaving some compunding residue behind by the looks of it that doesn't wipe off with a MF. Im using a PC with uber orange and m105

2. GTIDamien_407

Used some onr at qd ratio and sprayed it on and wiped off the excess residue still wondering why that's occurring, I think I got some onto the uncorrected portion that's why it didn't want to wipe off

3. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

How many passes of the M105 do you use per working section? It will dry out fairly quickly (as early as 3 in my experience) and leave behind residue if over buffed.

4. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Right on with Bunky, M105 is notorious for drying out pretty quick and being a bit difficult to wipe off. I always spray some ONR on to get it off.

5. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

if M105 is overworked, it will leave that residue you're seeing. 2 options.: clean your pad and hit it with another M105 pass or save time on a two step and follow it with a polish like M205.

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

How much product are you putting on the pad?

7. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Try the KBM method. Prime the surface and really get in in the pores not just leaving it at the surface like a slice of bread. Then 2-3 dots, and put it on the outer part of the pad. Due to the rotation, the polish will gradually go to the middle of the pad and then become over saturated. By putting it on the outside area you'll get more life out of the pad (more panels before it needs washing) and prevent overheating and deformation under pressure.

8. GTIDamien_407

Thanks for all the tips guys now I'll know next time haha

anyways heres how it turned out, finished with Super Finish on Green and Glanz wax as LSP

after m105
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SF being applied
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]
    after glanz
    [​IMG]
    rain!
    [​IMG]

One more question should I be using Super finish on green or something finer like the blue uber?

9. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Depends on the clear. Generally green is fine. Unless you see some faint micro-marring you don't have to go any further, unless your going after the most gloss you possibly can, and in that case you would be using PO85RD. Nice work!

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Glad you got it sorted. Finished product looks great!

11. GTIDamien_407

Thanks Ken

Thanks for the info Luke!

12. detaildude3629

detaildude3629 Birth of a Detailer

I use a dot of Blacklight radiant finish with 105 to keep it not to flash so fast and work longer or even optimum poliseal to..give it a try.

13. TimAD

TimAD Jedi Nuba

Great work! M105 will leave a little bit of haze residue on most CC. This is just because it is a PITA to work with (Doesn't wipe off easy, dusts like crazy etc.). Next time put a few drops of D300 on your pad and it should fix all those problems for ya.

14. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

My experiences with Meguiars 105 is that it wants to dry out very quickly, so I will spray a little QD, water, etc., on the work and keep going. It will get past this stage and then start working nicely. It actually does finish down pretty darn good if you will keep it going (with a little moisture), and stop before it dusts.
    On only a few types of paint, it will want to "stick" more to the paint, but as already said, a QD or something will help get it off.
    Im talking from a Rotary Power perspective here. :)

Dan F

15. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Wisdom from the "North counties" in SD...............................btw how is "Santiago"??, is he homeless now that you let him go for "Schlepness".

16. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Super Finish on a green Uber pad will finish down to LSP ready, but you can always follow up with 85RD on Uber blue if you'd like.