Wetsanding

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by odgaard, Jul 2, 2009.

1. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

Where do you guys get your paper from? I am here at my home depot and all I cab find is 320,400&600 grit sandwet paper. Isn't that a bit rough? Any help would be great. I have a hood to practice on and want to get this technique down.

TIA

2. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

Go to any automotive supply shop, they usually sell 1000-2000.

Detail supply shops will have grits up to 3000.

I think walmart carries 3m paper.

Look for meguiars unigrit/nikken paper.

3. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

I thought that was a little rough. I'll try to find some tomorrow, I'd like to save myself shipping costs and the time it takes to ship

4. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I use 3M imperial wet/dry 1000/1500/2000. I rarely use the 1000 though. Is meg's unigrit better?

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Yikes 320,400&600 those are some aggressive sanding paper...I personally wouldn't use these types of sand papers...I would go to an automotive shop and stick to 1000, 2000, 3000 and if possible 4000 grit papers.

Just my :2cents:

6. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

:agree:

7. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

What you saw at HD was meant for Woodworking.:giggle:

:shead:I personally use 2000 98% of the time, occasionally using 1000.If you have a Rotary I would reccomend this route, as said above a Auto Paint Supply Store will be Source, while there be sure to pick-up a good Sanding Block....Good Luck :popcorn:

P.S. Just make a few passes at a time. You can always remove more(Paint) But adding to gets costly

8. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

You will need 6-inch x 4-inch sheets of Nikkens™ 2000, 2500 and 3000 - grit finishing paper (1000 and 1500 grit is also available, but they are usually used on single stage paint systems, you can start with any grade of finishing paper according to the condition of your paint film surface, but as always use the least abrasive first) next cut or tear three or four pieces of the finishing papers in half and place them in the bucket also.

Wrap a piece of the softened Nikkens™ 2000 - grit finishing paper (or whatever grade your paint surface requires) around a Unigrit Sanding Block (see also alternative products) if you're going to be working broad, flat surfaces. Otherwise, you can just fold the sandpaper in thirds. Keep wetting the surface of the vehicle in the area where you're sanding and keep it wet while you work. Place your hand flat on the sanding block / finishing paper at all times and start sanding in short, crisscross strokes.

Good luck

See also "Wet-Sanding (Colour Sanding)" detailing school section