Well We Had An Earthquake

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by littlemissGTO, Apr 18, 2008.

1. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

this morning. 5.4 on the scale. Was a very odd feeling. I don't know how people in California can deal with them.
    The one this morning freaked me out. At first I thought one of my upstairs neighbors was up early, but somehow fell because I heard a loud bang. Then the entire building started to move. Not a good feeling at all. Oh well. As far as I know my car is still in one piece. I haven't been outside to check on it yet.

2. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

Some people here in town felt the earthquake, but I was sound asleep!!

3. cwcad

cwcad Birth of a Detailer

It is very rare for the midwest. I know from experience from living in Alaska just how wierd it feels. Not much one can do but wait for it to end and hope for the best.

Hope that your car is doing fine as well as you and yours and the rest of the Midwest.

4. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I knew I wasn't dreaming!!!

Extremely disconcerting experience to be awoken by your house shaking. The adult beverages I'd consumed before my slumber probably didn't help.

l.m.gto, did it feel like it went on forever for you? To me, it was like 3 different "sessions" in a row.

5. littlemissGTO

The car is just fine. Thank goodness. Very little damage happened that can be linked to the earthquake.

Mad - it felt like I'd had too much to drink at first. Then I think I started to panic for a second. Shortly after that it was over.

6. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

I heard on the radio the last big one here in the midwest was in 1811 but don't qoute me..
    i was listening to the radio this morning but i didn't catch location thinking the quake was in california..my daughter resides in California and to be honest i was a bit worried..

LMGTO ,glad to see your ok along with your car..how about doing a review on DODO juice and earthquakes..lol

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Didn't even know there was an earthquake up there, hope all is well!

8. littlemissGTO

Wiki is my friend today:
    The New Madrid Seismic Zone is an area at the northern end of the Mississippi Embayment and extends 120 miles. This is the remnant zone of the Reelfoot Rift during the break up of supercontinent Rodinia. This area is still active today causing multiple earthquakes on a weekly basis, however these earthquakes are quite small. This zone is most familiar with three earthquakes from 1811 - 1812 which were so powerful that they caused the Mississippi to flow backwards. The largest one on February 7, 1812 had a magnitude exceeding 8 on the Richter scale. Activity today includes a . The Reelfoot Rift is named after Reelfoot Lake, which was created by the 1811-1812 earthquakes. The New Madrid Seismic Zone is a prime study area for neotectonics.

9. littlemissGTO

From what I can tell everything is fine. I'll get an up close view when I go outside to play.:headbang:

10. littlemissGTO

Wow the aftershocks have started. This is going to be one interesting day.

11. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I haven't felt any aftershocks yet. But I'm up on the 6th floor of my office bldg. How are you going to go out and play when it's so yucky outside?

I really hope my basement/foundation didn't crack cuz my house was shaking enough to wake me up.

12. littlemissGTO

Going to finish breaking in the motor on my RC truck. Only need to run it for about an hour or so.

13. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

Glad you and everything is ok!

Yes, earthquakes are weird. They really don't phase me much (living in Nor-Cal). The one thing I always think though, is if I'm shaking a little, is somewhere else shaking alot?

During the big SF earthquake in 89, I shook a little bit and didn't think much of it. I got home, and saw the devestation that hit the bay area.

Last big quake hit Napa like '02. I shook a little bit, and was concerned about where else was shaking. Turned out it was a minor closer one.

14. littlemissGTO

For me it's quite disconcerting to know that the ground is moving and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. Talk about not feeling comfortable where you sit.

15. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

16. Cooter

Cooter Guest

I didnt feel anything. But I was asleep. Oh well!!
    Hope everything is okay Shauna!!!

17. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

didnt feel a thing either this morning or today. At school today one side of our campus could feel one of the after shocks and the other side no one noticed it. (I was on the side that didnt notice it) still waiting to go in and check everything at work, (exhaust systems hung from the girders and earthquakes dont sound like a good combo)

18. littlemissGTO

19. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

I was still sleeping but my dogs were not happy. They woke me up going nuts!!

20. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Foot massage for us in Cali. I hear you though, they can be a very nerve wrecking experience. They used to scare the heck out of me, but after hundreds of them, I've gotten used to them. Most of us here just sleep through them.