waxing by hand

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Calgarydetail, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

here is a video i did of how to wax by hand. Its not great, i hope to get a better one soon but it should help some people for now.

Sorry for the poor shots, i dont have a tri-pod and I did this bymyself so it was hard to get it right.
    Also i applogize for my voice. i was sick and i was loosing my voice.. well anyway here we go

[​IMG]

2. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Kewl vid. Mike

PS: Laura says you have nice jeans

3. Calgarydetail

haa thanks...

who is laura.. and you can let her know those are my work jeans.. there old lacoste, its time for some new ones

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Nice video there buddy, I didn't have the volume up so I could hardly hear you but when I saw it again I had the volume up and sounded good.

The only thing that I try not to do my self (this is just me though) is that I don't go in a circular motion, I try to go at the same direction...but don't know that's just me lol.

5. Calgarydetail

each to there own right...
    I go in a circular motion becasue i find it easier to get the wax off. i am not worried about swirls becasuse i make sure hte paint is clayed and cleansed. i tryto celanse the pannel then go straight to wax before moving on. Its just a way of keeping the dust off

6. Nica

Nica Banned

I'm going to have to give the circular motion a try though, there was another person who removed wax in a circular motion as well and he said that it removed the wax a little better too.

7. 02CAMSS

02CAMSS Jedi Nuba

Cool Video!I talked to the guy from victoria wax today and he told me that he has seen people use up a whole 3oz tub in an afternoon on one car because they were putting a crapload on by hand.

8. Calgarydetail

david always has great stories, and yeah i sure dont use that much. i have goten probley 17 or 18 details out of the curret tub of wax (8oz) and have not used it all. Im looking at atleast 20-25. So yeah you can always add more if needed

9. 02CAMSS

02CAMSS Jedi Nuba

David is way cool he had me on the phone for over an hour and what I liked best about him was he was very honest even when it came to his own product and that a quality thats hard to find.

10. Calgarydetail

david is a very upstanding guy, even though I am getting vintage I am still finding ways to use his products. they are all top notch and david is a great guy. I like how he conducts business and will support him as long as I can... on that note i ordered
    32oz of hd-cleasne
    16 oz detail spray- i have never used a nice sprayer and bottle, the spray is great too
    and a mf cloth to try. I want to see how it is

but yeah great products and a great guy

11. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Cool video! I have always applied wax in circular motions, but haven't buffed off in circular motions. Maybe I should give it a try :)

12. Nica

Nica Banned

Yea I remember my first go at applying wax by hand lol what a mess :rolleyes: but after a few vehicles I got better at using the appropriate amount. Now I don't even think about it, I just dip my fingers and away I go lol.

13. Ronnie

Ronnie Birth of a Detailer

Aquick tip if you rub the wax on in straight lines, let it cure and then buff off then the rain will follow that course.. ie from the top of the door down and from the windscreen to the front grill.. I found if I applied it in circular motions the water tenedd to stay on the bonnet (hood) in that matter but if applied in straight lines then it will run off more easily.. The is more evident in the lower end soft waxes...

14. Nica

Nica Banned

Interesting information there Ronnie, I was tought to always remove the wax the same direction it was applied but I never thought about the water folowing that same direction...but it makes sense.

Thank you for sharing this info ;)

15. Ronnie

Ronnie Birth of a Detailer

no probs just a bit of trial and error i came across it!

16. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Thats awesome, thanks.

17. 89s1

89s1 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

great vid man

my application and removal look strikingly simmilar to that

I apply in gentle curved lines and remove in a circular motion FWIW.

18. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Thanks for the video, I learned about something that i have been wondering about for awhile.

19. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

I dont know if you can handle this. Nica said the first time he did it it was a huge mess.

20. Calgarydetail

it does take some practice, the first couple times i did it it wasmore then a mess, there was a thick coating of wax that just did not want to come off, however after doing a few dozen cars with it its now easy. I find it easier then with an applicator. my guees is its because im just used toi it.

but be prepared for the first couple times to be a mess, but stick with it. Its well worth it