Waxes not bonding to surface...

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by O4COBRA, Jun 10, 2008.

1. O4COBRA

O4COBRA Birth of a Detailer

Earlier this year I bought a 2000 Civic DX, 32 mpg around town I just couldn't pass it up. Anyways I bought the car from one of the recycling yards in my company. So I don't know any back story on the car or anything.

Anyways, when I got the car it had the usual oxidation and swirls from not being cared for well. I originally polished the car with Optimum polish to remove the oxidation and some swirls, I wanted to wait for nicer weather to remove more defects. So after Optimum polish I applied two coats of 845IW. Well a week later I went and washed the car and the beading was minimal at best, and not round like 845IW. So I didn't think anything of it, I applied again thinking this time it may bond. Washed again and nothing better as far as the beading. Since then I've tried an IPA wipedown, AIO and Prime Strong then reapplied the wax and got the same results...

So I ask you guys to help. Now I have not clayed the car, or dawn washed the car. What do you guys think the problem could be. For a little background I've been a hobbyist detailer for about 4 years now and never had this problem before. I appreciate any and all feed back on the subject and sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Kyle

2. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

Prep-Sol wipedown... get something super aggro on there.

<shrug> That's all I got.

3. richy

richy Guest

I've never used Optimum polishes or compounds so I can't help you there. I agree with the above poster; strip and do again, maybe using a different LSP (maybe a polymer) or different polish. I have used Collinite with great success over Menz polishes including over FMJ. Hope that helps.

4. O4COBRA

^^ Is that a lot more aggressive than the IPA wipedown?

5. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

OP has a ton of lubricants. Id probably try wiping down with Prep sol like reefer said, it is more aggressive.

6. O4COBRA

Even since Optimum I've tried using AIO and Prime Strong, wouldn't that clean the surface properly for the LSP??

7. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Any Rag Vehicle Washer

hmm... interesting... in my case, after Optimum Polish, I used the Poli-seal, then added the Vics Red as LSP. Now, I wonder if the beading I'm seeing was from the Poli-seal, or was it from the wax... DUH...

8. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

LOL, do you or did you play an MMORPG reefer_bob...say, WoW perhaps?

9. reefer_bob

Lots of MUDDs back in the day, never played WoW though... :)

10. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

I used to use optimum products when I was starting out, and never had this issue. As others have said, try and prep sol wipedown and see if that helps you, otherwise I have to wonder if something else is going on with the paint, or if your LSP has an issue of its own.

11. O4COBRA

^ I've tried 476S, 845IW, FK1 Pink Wax and OCW...

12. D&D Auto Detailing

Wax doesnt bond well to sealants and wont last long on top of them.

13. reefer_bob

I'm not sure I totally agree with that statement...

There are a ton of people here who use sealants and top them with Nuba's and have excellent results

My dad's truck has 2 coats of JS109, with 2 coats of SV Smagrd, and it's been beading beautifully for 6 weeks now... Out door 100%, aside of a field that kicks up a ton of dust.

14. D&D Auto Detailing

How do you know the SV is still there if JS is under it?

I know there are a bunch of people here who top sealants with nuba. But what are these excellent results they are getting? Maybe slightly better looks IF the combo works right (which isnt always the case). MAYBE a little more depth, maybe the metallic pops a LITTLE more, and maybe the sealant will last a little longer because its protected by the wax. But theres also negatives, topping a sealant with a wax reduces the slickness, and since nuba tends to attract more dust then sealants, topping it will do so too. Heres how I think about it, sealants make the surface very slick so things DON'T stick to it. It doesnt give the wax a good surface to bond to. This is ONE of the main reasons we spend extra time doing alcohol and prep sol wipe downs, and applying cleaner fluid, to give the wax the proper surface to bond to and maximize durability.

I also dont believe the wax has the same potential to give the paint as much depth when its on top of a sealant. Waxes look better by themselves, with a properly prepped surface. So my thinking is that overall, topping a sealant with a wax doesnt give much benefit because the wax simply cant bond well to the sealant, so those few good things you do get from topping wont last very long at all. How much does it reduce the waxes durability is hard to tell because theres still a sealant under it, so how do you actually know what the protection is coming from? Well Ive got a few ideas of different ways to test this.

Understand Im not trying to say either way is right or wrong. The most important thing is doing whatever makes YOU happy.

15. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

I thought I was the only one! I have a 99 acura integra and I experience the same problem... After polishing and IPA wipe down and Solvent wipe down I have tried. Poorboys Nattys, Meguiars Nxt, Duragloss 105, Meguiars #26. No matter what I get the same result... next to zero beading after a week or 2. I wonder if this happens due to single stage paint? I have tried all of these waxes on my customers cars who I do maintanence packages for and all of those waxes+sealents last 2-4 months. What gives!?

16. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Kyle I would wash car down with prep-sol and repolish, this way you know that you have a good base. I have done this on numerous cars through the years even used comet before on really oxidized white cars. This should take care of your problem. If you have any other questions let us know.