Wax/polish application method

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by fellowsdrake, Dec 22, 2012.

1. fellowsdrake

fellowsdrake Two Bucket System Washer

I wanna make sure I'm not wasting time and product. So when waxing I just do nice tight swirls across the body. Once it dries and hazes I wax off right?

Is polishing the same?

Please be as stupid with me as you can. Insult my intelligence. I just wanna make sure I'm doing things right. I'm passionate about taking care of my cars. Still learning though.

2. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Two Bucket System Washer

If you're serious about detailing your car, you should invest in a buffer. Something like a Griots Garage 6" orbital is a good start. You need to do a lot of reading!

Check out detailedimage.com or youtube. Check out DD's youtube channel: Detailer's Domain - YouTube

3. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Depending on the wax, ideally is to do multiple LIGHT coats...putting it on any heavier will not add more protection, and will just be more difficult to clean up.

personally, i would not do swirls ever, just in case you have something on your applicator that scratches, it is much more easy to remove a straight scratch than a swirl...I do cross...one pass vertical, then one horizontal.

What wax will you be using?

As for removing the wax, cure time depends on each wax, I have some that are wipe on, wipe off simple, some require 15 minutes to cure and haze, and some can take HOURS to have a good bond.

Make sure you apply in shade, I made the mistake once of trying to apply Collinite 845 in the sun, that shit turned to stone and I could NOT remove it!

Honestly, unless you are spot polishing super soft paint or plastic, I would never again polish by hand...it is a waste of time. If you have scratches and want to not see them and do not have a good DA, I would either go buy a DA, or if you will only do it by hand, invest in some glazes and an LSP with fillers. I know that is cheating, but if it is your car, who cares but you...as long as it looks good, and your arms will thank you!

4. fellowsdrake

Yeah I I get pretty exhausted. Mitsubishi uses a pretty soft paint (damnit) and I hear ford uses a pretty hard paint. So never swirl, do a criss cross method. So far I've been using meguiars wax. But I just got the hydro triple kit. Anywho... I just got this Christmas will this work for applying Adams line of polishes glazes and waxes?
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...0P&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=35-14628620-2

5. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

Better of returning the sears item and putting a little more money into a griots unit

It has lifetime warranty and I'll be better for your tasks or either paint correction or applying LSP

It'll only be like a little more money to add on

6. fellowsdrake

What is it exactly that I need? A random orbit? A dual action?

7. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

same thing, yes...

Most common are the Porter Cable 7424XP, Griots Garage, Meguiars G110 for beginners...they are the cheapest to acquire. I have seen MANY PCXP go for under $100, maybe around $80...

Personally, I chose the Griots, because that was the new hot thing that came out when I finally made my purchase, and they are a little stronger of a motor from what I have read, but apparently they do have some dependability issues...just do some research and see what you want.

Those sears ones are worthless...they may spread wax, but I wouldn't even use them for that...and I certainly wouldn't use them to actually attempt to correct paint! just too weak is the problem.

Like Boredstudent said, just a LITTLE more money to add, but WAY worth it.

8. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I do my waxes in circles, its easier for me to get even coverage. And honestly if there's a speck on the applicator, its gonna make a light mark and will be equally easily removed if it was in a straight line or in a circle. So really its just personal preference. I've never encountered marring from doing it in circles.

And polishing by hand is a much different method. But you'll be disappointed with the amount of effort you put in for the results you'll get. Best starting out with a Griots or PC, Uber pads, and Menzerna polishes! I'm biased, but they work awesome. And then, you might fall in love (others call it obsession) with detailing ;)

9. Bmer89

I do my waxes in circles, its easier for me to get even coverage. And honestly if there's a speck on the applicator, its gonna make a light mark and will be equally easily removed if it was in a straight line or in a circle. So really its just personal preference. I've never encountered marring from doing it in circles.

And polishing by hand is a much different method. But you'll be disappointed with the amount of effort you put in for the results you'll get. Best starting out with a Griots or PC, Uber pads, and Menzerna polishes! I'm biased, but they work awesome. And then, you might fall in love (others call it obsession) with detailing ;)

10. fellowsdrake

Im like that creepy kid in school with a crush. Dream about it, read about it, and think about it all day. But when it comes down to it I really don't know what I'm doing.

Alright so I'm going to get the 7274xp er whatever's. The rest of my questions I think I can get from Adams polishes YouTube videos

11. React

React Birth of a Detailer

Get the GG rather than the pc

12. fellowsdrake

Can you explain why?

13. Bmer89

It has a stronger motor. But I have had no problems with my pc. It's cheaper than the Griots, but not quite as powerful.

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Good man! In all honesty, what we do is not rocket science. All the equipment and supplies that us pro's use are available to the enthusiast. The only only difference between a half assed job and perfection is time. Get a polisher ( PC or Griots ) Griots has more power but PC is more reliable. The Porter Cable will be able to take care of anything you need to do as an enthusiast. Keep it simple. Don't get sucked into buying one of these polishing bundles available at most estores. Unless your paint is hammered, you will need two pads. One for polishing and one for finish polishing. I use Buff & Shine Orange with Megs 105 for polishing out heavier swirls and Menz Power Finish or Optimum Hyper Polish with a Green pad for lighter swirls. Both combo's will leave an LSP ready finish good enough for the enthusiast although following up the 105 with the green pad combo will add some more gloss. On really soft paints, you may need a black pad for final polishing.

15. obsidian LGT

obsidian LGT Birth of a Detailer

This is just my opinion, but if I were to start at the beginning all over again, I would buy the Griots Garage random orbital ( stronger motor, better ergos, lifetime warranty and awesome customer service), a set of uber pads from Phil (actually both from Phil, his customer service is unreal) and some basic polishes. You could go the M105/205 route, menzerna, or the new hotness, the Sonax polishes (although pricey). As for waxing method, I do circular out of habit and I feel I get better coverage. I've never encountered any issues with inducing swirls via circular method, and if you're doing your pre use inspections of all pads and microfibers ( highly recommended) its a non issue.

16. obsidian LGT

obsidian LGT Birth of a Detailer

Oh, and also on the topic of polishing, least aggressive first (polish and pads) take your time, and enjoy it!