waterless wash vs water

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by joegralto, Oct 7, 2014.

1. joegralto

joegralto New Member

WATERLESS WASH VS WATER WASH

i am going to post the pros and cons i see about both waterless and water wash techniques
    feel free to add your opinions i will also post questions i have in mind in regaurds to both as a business.

pros of waterless

1, cheaper to start out (dont need water containors/powerwasher/generator
    2, i beleave it leaves a cleaner surface (dont have to hurry and rinse befor dries)
    3, you dont need a water source (no hose to drag around.
    4, saves time no need to dry (wont leave streaks and water marks)
    5, you can advertise a eco friendly no need for water source and loud equipment to customers.

cons of waterless

1, customers may feel scepical of new way of cleaning.
    2, need alot of rags on a dirtier surface.
    3, hard to reach some areas of car.
    4, hard to reach in crevises/wheel spokes/wheel wells/behind some auto parts.
    5, biggest issue for me it dont contain a wax remover.

pros of water

1, removes heavy dirt road grime/salt/mud
    2, dont need many rags
    3, soap is cheap.
    4, reaches behind parts and crevises (hard to reach areas)
    5, many varietys (wax removing/bug and tar)
    6, most important to me i can use products such as a wax remover/prep agent that needs to be rinsed.

cons of water

1, need water source (drag hose around/soak up customers propery
    2, leave puddles if no drain and harful chemicals (may need permit in residential areas)
    3, need to dry (may leave water marks streaks)
    4, takes more time
    5, reusing dirty bucket water/might miss a spot due to visability of suds

so which that being said my question i am asking my self is which approach should i take
    if i am going to start a auto detailing business.

i like a product made by chemical guys called ecosmart waterless.... but my isse is it has wax in it,
    when i detail a car i will wash clay then buff/polish so and and so on i do not want no wax on the car,
    it amazes me a company with so many products dont make a product strictly for detailers
    it would be great for a product like ecosmart with NO wax in it, they told me its ok because claying removes wax?
    but why would i take time to add wax then work extra hard to clay it off ? makes no sense to me.
    now theres products by griots that is a paint prep but you need to use water so why go waterless then use water ? makes no sense ?
    im sure there is plenty other waterless products but all that i read said it isnt made to replace a reg wash.

so what are your thoughts on this ? or am i over looking it ? is it that nesasery to start with a wax free car or will buffing remove it ?
    from a business stand point what are your thoughts is it worth going waterless or old fashion water ?

2. okay65829

okay65829 Active Member

ONR, look it up.

3. joegralto

joegralto New Member

looks like an interesting product but for all that i think i rather just wash with water ?

4. okay65829

okay65829 Active Member

Depends on how dirty the car is , what's the temp outside (winter), water restrictions etc. blowing water out of cracks and crevices is a pain but a necessity, esp on dark colored cars.

5. QUENGA

QUENGA Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I started using rinseless in 2010-2011 and haven't really stopped. You can't compare rinseless to washing with water, just because you use a bucket. The investment is far less, the cleanup is far less, the time spent is far less, and the benefits outweigh any cons. Most cars I've detailed are relatively clean and the owners have them washed regularly. So, I don't really need the water because they've already been washing it that way, or will after I leave.

Anytime a car was too dirty for rinseless to be efficient (i.e. heavy bird droppings, bee poop, tree sap, mud...), I would ask my clients to run it through a touchless wash before the appointment. Next time they filled up with gas, they spent $3 on a quick wash and I'd give them $20 off. Which, in reality, I was going to charge them $20 more for the extra effort, so I come out the same anyway.

Using a touchless wash has it's benefits. I flushes out crevices, removes old wax, and power washes the crap out of stuff like bird poop. I don't have to ask all the time, but I've never had a complaint. You'd be surprised to find out your customers want to help make your job easier if they can -- especially if they can save a few bucks.

There are a lot of guys who put down rinseless washing in a "professional" business, and I got a TON of backlash when I said that's how I was going to START my business. Everyone kept telling me I needed to start the traditional way, customers wouldn't like it, it's not effective enough....

I've had absolutely no issues or complaints. I've had plenty of customers doubt me, but since I offer a 100% guarantee, I've always been able to get rid of any doubts they've had. I've even convinced several of them to switch to rinseless washing themselves.

I do wash cars traditionally from time to time, but it's mostly just for nostalgic reasons.

Tom E IL likes this.
  6. B.Prug87

B.Prug87 DB Forum Supporter

what what kind of towels do you use?I marred the crap out of my paint...I used a edgeless fluffy towels amd a microfiber waffleweave dryimg towel

7. inDetail

inDetail New Member

Infinite use detail juice does not contain wax. It will offer protection at higher concentrations.
    UWW+ is much the same. Both products are very good and much cheaper when compared to EcoSmart.
    I have never used EcoSmart so I cannot comment on the performance. The price per wash is just too expensive for me to justify
    consideration for business purposes when I have 3 very good options in IUDJ, ONR, UWW+ at a much cheaper per wash cost.

Another option to strip wax and LSP's are Griot's Paint Prep or Paint Work Cleanser sprays. Spray on wipe off