Waterless Wash: Poorboy's or Chemical Guys?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by MisterShark, Nov 13, 2009.

1. MisterShark

MisterShark Birth of a Detailer

I'm looking to try out a waterless wash for the first time and can't decide between these 2 products:
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Opinions/preferences please.

I initially wanted to try CG's Ecosmart until I found out about the extra step involved (waiting for the wax/sealant residual film to haze before making the final wipe-off pass).
    My main purpose for this product is a quick inbetween-true-washes maintenance wash that I can perform quickly on my lunchbreak.
    I plan to use it for those times when there's a bit more dirt on the car than I'd feel safe using a QD on.

It's understood that this type of product would not be suitable for really dirty situations; only for times when my schedule or the weather hasn't allowed me to do my weekly full 2 bucket wash or ONR wash.

Thanks for your input.

2. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

I try to avoid waterless washes and stick to ONR with a small bucket. There's too much risk of rubbing the dirt into the finish and causing damage. Try leaving a small (1 or 2 gal) bucket in your trunk and filling it at work during the lunch break to use with ONR and a microfiber.

3. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

I use Poorboy's myself. I limit it to very light jobs and cleaning door jambs.

For your purposes, you could try Poorboy's but even better is if you can use ONR. I found ONR to be better. I've had some marring happen with Spray and Wipe when I pushed the limits a little.

Hope this helps.

4. MisterShark

Thanks guys.

ONR is my staple when washing @ home with bucket and GritGuard (which is of course favorable to a waterless wash) but my intention here is a quick solution to wiping away a dirt level just slightly above what I feel comfortable using my Optimum QD for.

I'm definitely not down with using the waterless wash for caked-on dirt, mud, etc..

5. acc1079

acc1079 Guest

If you already have ONR, why not just mix a batch up of QD strength. IMO, it would be as good or better then either of those products, and you already have it. Just a thought.

6. MisterShark

I like this idea. I think I'll give it a try as long as it offers the same level of protection against marring as the other 'dedicated' products.

7. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

+1 (10 char)

8. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

Spray & Wipe hands down. This was my go to for waterless wash before ONR, but I still use it quite frequently for small touch ups and door jams. It can handle quite a bit of dirt, don't be fooled by thinking it is a fancy QD, but it's definitely no ONR.

9. MisterShark

Regarding your opinion of Spray and Wipe: when you say "it's definitely no ONR" do you mean to say that it's better for performing a waterless wash with than ONR (prepared to QD dilution), or it's inferior?

Rule out ONR as a rinseless wash: for the purposes of this thread I'd like to strictly focus on what product to use for a fast, superficial cleaning (of up to reasonable dirt level) which will not need a bucket or any gallons of water. Just me, some MFs, spray bottle of waterless wash, and about 20 minutes.

10. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Just one tip if you have not found it already for any of the products. For Bird bombs or some dirt that sticks a bit to the paint. I pre-spray a bit and then set my spray bottle to be a focused stream (hope I describe it right) so that I can blast it off (after it emulsifies a bit) before using the normal instructions of spray and wipe. Sort of like a pre-spray but just blasting it off first with some water pressure.

Seems obvious but just in case because if you used the normal instructions of spraying and wiping for a bird bomb, I get marring.

To avoid marring, I blast it off the car. The pressure should be enough to just rinse it out.

I really hope what I described makes sense.
    The spray bottle would need to be able to provide a focused stream of course.

11. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Spray and Wipe is some great stuff, but if you already have ONR then better off just mixing some QD version of ONR it will work just as well and you already have it.

12. MisterShark

Crystal clear. Thanks for the tip.

13. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

I've never mixed up the ONR into a QD, but I can say that S&W is super fast and easy. A 32oz. bottle goes a long way, you don't want to saturate the surface like with the CG stuff.

14. MisterShark

Thanks ag. I'm going to indeed give this a shot first since I have a bottle waiting.

kaiten,
    curiosity will eventually get the most of me once I've tried the ONR @ QD strength as others have suggested, and I'll end up picking up some S&W down the line I'm sure.

I'll revisit this thread once I've tried both and divulge my results/opinion.

Thanks all.

15. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

ha, trust me I know what you mean..even though I love OID, once I got that I got a few other ones as I was just thinking to myself hmmm I wonder how that one works and now I have many different QD and just use them depending on my mood ha.

16. MisterShark

Yeah, it's some kind of obsessive-compulsive behavior that I think about 95% of members in this community likely are victims of.
    It's fun but my bankroll doesn't like me for it. :shakehead:

17. acc1079

acc1079 Guest

AMEN!! :help:

18. MisterShark

OK, so I'm going to give the ONR in QD strength a shot as a 'waterless wash'.

I'm thinking the best way to do this is to pre-spray the whole car first (hopefully giving the ONR polymers a bit of extra time to do their non-marring, particle-encapsulating magic) and then start wiping down with really plush MFs where I initially started my pre-spray.

This sound about right?

Any other suggestions or tips?

19. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Not much except to try in a inconspicuous first to see if it works and test its limits.

Limit the damage as much as possible.

Same thing applies to any product.

20. willjco

willjco DB Forum Supporter

I like the new eco wash from CG