washing in freezing temps

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by lw81, Dec 30, 2009.

1. lw81

lw81 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

is it safe to go through an automatic car wash in freezing temps? will it damage the paint/metal?

I'm in the great white north, the weather is cold, my car is full of salt and i want to wash it. Are there any alternatives to other than ONR.

2. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

It's not going to damage the paint but you might have an ice cube when you are done.

3. willjco

willjco DB Forum Supporter

i would never suggest going through a car wash. it is best to wash by hand but if you have no means to do so the touch less car washes are not bad and tend to harm your paint the least. remember that this is a last resort

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

To wash a surface requires- a detergent and agitation.

The way 'touchless' overcome the lack of agitation is by using harsh chemical detergents.

ONR is a much safer bet and kinder to your paint and LSP, which harsh chemicals will strip

5. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

go to self car wash and just rince the car with presure gun, this should get most of the salt off. wait till weather gets warmer, if you did good prep car should be pretty clean after power wash

6. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Yep, you can do this, it will get some of the crap off your car. Your car is still definitely going to be dirty, but now you can go home and wash it with ONR more effectively.

7. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I follow that procedure most of the time during the winter months.

8. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

Great procedure. Resist the temptation to use the brush at the carwash at all costs - it will scratch the heck out of your car. Power wash only. Take some wheel cleaner like P21S with you and spray, let sit, wash. Take your own wheel brush for even better results.

9. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

pressure washer/foam lance is a must! Foam it up, let it dwell, rinse it off...then pull it in a garage, and proceed with ONR.

10. MisterShark

MisterShark Birth of a Detailer

Has anyone done an ONR wash while the temps are freezing or below?
    Curious to know if the ONR solution will freeze as it's applied.

I know I tried using PB's S&W when it was a bit too frigid and it started turning to fine frost crystals as I was wiping it off.

11. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

yup, ONR solution will freeze on cold paint. saw it myself.

12. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Use hot water with ONR and wipe it off quick. Problem solved.

13. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

yep ive done this. all the water froze on my paint. thankfully i have a shop so i just pulled it in and it all melted down. ONR is ur best bet. I used it inside my shop and there wasnt too much of a mess. Just pushed the water out after wards. think i filled the bucket with about 2-3 gallons of water and used very little. ONR is a great product

14. supercharged

why not pull your car in a heated garage???

15. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

Garage with a space heater works for me.

If you don't have a garage, find a friend in a condo/office with underground parking and water.

16. MisterShark

MisterShark Birth of a Detailer

I work at Verizon's world headquarters here in NJ and all of our parking is in a covered deck, but this doesn't affect the freezing temps. I could bring my sealed bucket, gallon jugs of distilled H2O, wash mitt, MFs and ONR but I'd still end up with an ONR popsicle for a car in the end.

17. supercharged

you need a heated garage, that's for sure...