Washing: From Start to Finish - Your process?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by adriankeith, Mar 3, 2008.

1. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

Before I found this forum, I had just been using a small bucket and a bunch of random sponges. I just used the hose and sponged away at the car until I got most of the major dirt off.

I've always wanted to take better care of my car but I just didn't know how to do it properly. I'm new to detailing but I love taking care of my car. My question is, what is your process from start to finish in washing your car? I've been reading a number of threads where people use a foam gun. Does foaming the car do more than just your initial rinse (using a pressure washer)? Yikes, so many questions and yet still more..

I recently picked up the bucket from CG (bucket, grid guard, wash mitt, and 16oz CG CWG) which is great because its a lot bigger than what I used to have. Is there any way that I can prolong the life of my wash mitt? Should I be leaving it out to dry?

Last of all, Tires. I clean my car and when it comes to tires all I use is Meguiar's Tire Foam. It ends up alright and lasts for a bit but I feel like theres something that would last longer. I also clean my girlfriend's car (1998 BMW 328i) but when it comes to her tires, I don't know what to use. When I use the tire foam on her car, they're black for a few days but soon after they're back to their brown ugly color. When her car isn't clean, the tires really stand out.

Sorry for all these questions! I've been trying to do a lot of reading before I posted this but there is an insane amount of information and acronyms (I found the acronym thread) but I am slowly pulling it together.

Also, the two bucket method. It's talked about in another thread but not really any further than, "Do you use the two bucket method?"

OK. I think i'm done.

2. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

Lots of good questions, and I'm sure lots of people will chime in!

Two bucket method. One bucket of soap, one clean rinse bucket. When you wash a section, use the rinse bucket to get the dirt out and keep your wash bucket clean!

Tires. You need a good tire cleaner, and stiff brush. After you've cleaned it well, then come back with a protectorant / shine agent. The brown is a by product of the envrionment and manuf. process.

Wash mitt. I too am guilty of trying to prolong the life of my mitts. But in reality, don't. Depending on the mitt, if it starts to get matted and nasty, you'll only be doing more harm. Buy a new mitt. I wash mine, making sure to rinse it inside out after every wash. Some people use foam sponges. I'm personally not a big fan of them. I'll let them chime in.

You've got a great start there with the CG products. Be careful with how much soap you use in your wash cause it can be very powerful. Lots of good info here!!! Don't be shy! :)

3. adriankeith

Thanks for the response reefer_bob. As far as tire cleaner, what would you recommend? I'm partial to CG mainly because they're almost in my backyard and shipping only takes about a day. But even then, I have no problem ordering elsewhere because I don't get to wash my car til the weekends anyway. Thanks again reefer_bob.

4. OrngeZ

OrngeZ Birth of a Detailer

where in socal are you located? if you are near me you are more than welcome to come over for a free tutorial...i am near the west covina area

5. adriankeith

I live in Long Beach, not too far I don't think. Would be interested to see how you work. Thanks for the offer.

6. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

we got another one guys!

7. haper

haper Birth of a Detailer

You asked for it:

- wet entire car
    - soap up mitt
    - starting top down
    - mitt in one hand / hose in the other
    - wet surface then immediately follow w/ mitt
    - my idea is the water is a lubricant to minimize scratching
    - rinse mitt w/ hose b/f getting more suds
    - if i go over a particularly dirt section I'll use the back side of the mitt

- use different sponge for lower areas and rear fender behind tires
    - tires done last w/ different bucket, different sponge

- rinse car w/o hose nuzzle to allow water to run off
    - quick pass w/ the electric leaf blower
    - blot, no rubbing, with chamois to remove excess
    - use mini-squggie (sp ?) on windows

8. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

-Rinse off wheels, tires, wells
    -Spray tire cleaner on tires and wells
    -Scrub tires, wells, and clean the rims
    -Repeat if needed
    -Hose off car
    -Spray degreaser on tar, bugs
    -Wash, starting with the roof, going to the front end, sides, then back of vehicle. rinsing frequently to avoid water drying
    -Take off nozzle, sheet most water off car
    -Dry paint, then dry wheels/tires/wells
    -Clean jambs
    -Dress tires and wells,
    -Usually dress tires again, then clean up any water drips