Washing door jambs/trunk jambs

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by d00t, Jan 25, 2010.

1. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

How are you guys going about washing the door/trunk jambs.

What I usually do is QD them, then hand polish with ZAIO or the like. But i'd really like to be able to degrease them to not ruin my MFs so quickly..

Maybe I have the wrong technique.. but no matter what "Setting" on a nozzle I use or whatever, I always end up getting the interior sprayed with a fair amount of water. Now, I know it's "only water" but I'd rather not get anything wet that doesn't need to be.

So what is your guys' techniques for degreasing/washing jambs without getting water everywhere?

:mounty:

2. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

I use something like TAW, then "rinse" via spray bottle with distilled water. Put some regular cotton towels in "strategic" places.

HTH

3. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

You can get a certain amount of rinsing action by pointing your water at the door panel openings while the doors are closed. For the same reason that road grime gets up in there while you're driving around, rinse water can get in there too. It's not a 100% perfect rinse, but it does help quite a lot.

4. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I know this might not be helpful if you don't have the tool but the steam cleaner is the bomb for these areas... I spray em down with apc and agitate and then rinse with the steamer...

5. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

i use optimum power clean to loosen the grime. Then spray with onr and wipe clean. Then seal with ajt.

6. blacK20

blacK20 Birth of a Detailer

I wash jambs pretty much like the rest of the car. Wash mitt and brush for tight spots. I take the nozzle off and rinse with a straight hose to prevent splatter into the interior.

7. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

I think this is going to be the way to go. Maybe get a solo pressurized sprayer with ONR. Seems the most logical way to keep spray to an absolute minimum.

When I get a steamer.. I'll be sure to do it this way. Only problem is WHEN ;)

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Spray the jamb with appropriate cleaner, agitate with brush and rinse with hose. The trick is to turn down the water pressure ( flow ) at the tap. You can turn it up to wash the car after doing the jambs. :)

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I usually spray with the pressure washer when the doors are closed, follow up with cleaner/degreaser, agitate, then rinse with the pressure washer at lower pressure very carefully. I guess a good alternative would be using a Solo sprayer like you suggested Aaron, which was exactly what I was going to suggest. However, since I have a one gallon sprayer that I use for my ONR presoak, I would just use that instead. Then I wouldn't have to worry about refilling the Solo sprayer too often.

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Door Jambs

1. Use P21S Total Auto Wash, dilute the cleaner as necessary, using a damp micro fibre towel to go over the door jamb.
    2. Take a Swissvax Detail Brush and ensure that you have got into the corners, just lightly brush over it a couple of times.
    3. For difficult to reach areas use the Mini E-Z Detail brush with a flexible shaft
    4. Rinse it off using a wet microfiber towel, and dry thoroughly
    5. Use a Carnauba wax or a spray (WOWA) polymer sealant Zanio Z-8 for protection
    6. Repeat this process on the other side and carry on detailing the rest of your car
    7. Check the hinge / latch lubrication, renew with silicone grease as necessary
    8. Remove dust / dirt from the rubber sleeves and apply Iz einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care'
    9. While you are doing this part of the job, also clean the area around the boot lid, hood and inside the fuel filler flap and access area.
    10. Clean the water channels in the trunk as well as under the hood.
    11. Don’t forget the door sills / kick plates; once clean and dry, they should be protected by applying a surface dressing to vinyl surfaces and either wax or sealant protection to painted surfaces.

11. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

some good suggestions here. I like to use the 1Z spray wax in these areas after they are clean.

12. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

For me, if the jambs ain't very dirty, I use glass cleaner to wipe, AIO to remove stain and spray wax to finish. If it is soiled, will use diluted degreaser, agitate with paint brush and mini bottle brush for corners. Rinse with sprayer for corners and the rest with sponge.

13. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I'm like you, QD usually works for me. Now on the lower parts of the door, and even the frame, if the rubber is caked in mud, I will open the door and pressure wash off the mud. Most of the time it's enough and I can go back and wipe it off.

14. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

old thread but heres how I go about it, I do it with doors open and never have a problem

• low pressure rinse
    • apply degreaser
    • agite with brush / sponge
    • low presure rinse
    • spray wax

15. TimAD

TimAD Jedi Nuba

It all depends on their condition as well. Some may require a wipedown with ONR. While others may require a Degreaser and agitation to fully remove the grime.

16. GloomyX

GloomyX Birth of a Detailer

what do you guys do about the lubricates/grease that manufacturer (or service) leave on the hinges. A few of the cars that I've worked on have lubricants/grease smeared along the door jams that even 1:1 Zep APC will not get off without really having to scrub at it with a MF. I go through about a MF per door JUST on those lubricants/grease.

17. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Steam if you can.
    APC, tight brushes, and lots of elbow grease if you can't.

18. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I am careful not to disturb the grease on the hinges, unless Im going to replace it.
    I also never use a microfiber towel to remove any kind of grease because it ruins that towel forever. Prefer to get those cheap white towels at Target in the Automotive Section, and they go places that are really dirty and are needed.
    Its way better to use an APC a little dwell time and then brush the jamb and rinse. with the door open, and you are facing the inside door panel. This is absolutely imperative if you are washing the always dirty Underside of the door which always has road muck and dirt on it.
    To get away with regulating the water pressure, I installed a hose attachment that has its own knob on it to regulate the pressure from all on to off to anywhere in between at the end of the hose, so changing water pressure is not going to call for a trip back to the faucet.
    I will bet probably 1 in 100 people will actually notice the door jambs are clean and tell you thanks ! :)
    Sometimes, I will spray a jamb down with ONR and them Steam it all down and respray ONR to complete the rinsing and its done !

Dan F

19. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

to do a clean and tidy rinse, as mentioned, use a pressurized sprayer (you know, the one where you have to pump the top and then hold down the trigger to release the liquid)...kwazar has the venus atomizer, that gives you a good constant stream of fluid to rinse.

20. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

A pressure washer with a flexible sprayer does wonders in terms of control. Yes the interior can still get misted, but you can save time. In fact, more water gets in my face than the interior :p