Wash Mitts, what are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by ampbmw, Aug 11, 2010.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I have been using microfiber chenille mitts for some time now, with no issues with scratching or swirling.

Always been curious about sheepskin wash mitts, but been turned away from the fact that wool fibers are naturally abrasive aren't they?

Has anyone been using sheepskin mitts on a black car for maintenance and received no marring?

Thanks for the help!

btw, if I buy some sheepskin mitts, where should I get em? Best ones?

2. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

raceglaze mitts from ken. I don't own any yet, but those will be the next I purchase.

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I just picked some up so I can't account for longevity. After the first wash they don't look exactly the same, but they are very soft. They rinse well too.

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

5. BigAl3

BigAl3 Birth of a Detailer

lowes proline grout sponge and/or sm arnold thumbless sheepskin mitt...

6. corvus.corax

corvus.corax Virgin Detailer

I've had good experiences with sheepskin wash mitts in my black car, no marring here. I have the Mothers one and the Dodo Yetis fist, they're very soft and durable, I really love them. The point is you need to be careful and rinse the mitt very often, use a grit guard, etc because dirt particles don't leave the mitt easily, I mean, not as easy as a Grout Sponge. But keeping that in mind they're excellent wash medias.

7. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

i also use chenille mitts with no issues. I use it once per vehicle and wash it and they come squeaky clean. I also use grout sponges and love those as well. Great for ONR

I wouldn't mind trying out some chewbaka mitts but my concern isn't so much with scratching but stuff getting tangled in the fur and the mitt becoming useless.

8. dankfanatic

dankfanatic Guest

i've been using the wookie fist on my personal car. after using it a few times, i think its a hassle to use. it is super soft, slides real easily, but its just tooo big. about 6-7 dunks into the 5gal wash solution, and almost all the solution is gone!

9. mobilejay

mobilejay Birth of a Detailer

I have and been using nothing but the Schmitt. Better than anything I've used so far. There is no place for debris to hide and risk scratching paint. Also, it holds a ton of shampoo

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

My favorites were the Zymol sponges, but I found the Uber equivalent to be a bit better, although they are more expensive.

11. co78

co78 DB Forum Supporter

i use microfiber chenille mitts as well when washing with optimum no rinse. I switch to the Uber sponge when washing with regular car soap.

12. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I use combo of white/yellow schmitt, red ulti-mitt, and the LC blue grout sponge cut in half... as a whole it's just too big... but cut it in half and its friggin awesome!

I've also got a beta LC gold wash sponge. It's made out of the same foam as the LC gold buffing pads

13. Red Orc

Red Orc Birth of a Detailer

I just got a blue microfiber wash mitt from walfart today. It's the really weird looking one with all the tendrils. Looks like some kind of alien. Couldn't use it today though. It went up to 94 today & the heat index was supposed to be at least 100 degrees. Same tomorrow. It's nearly 7pm right now and it's still 89 degrees. But it's supposed to be in the 80's Sunday!

14. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

I've been using Eurow sheepskins but the cuffs are ripping away from the mitt too soon these days, searching for alternatives like grout sponges etc.

15. Mindflux

I don't trust those "dredlock" MF chinelle mitts, they have no nap. Same "problem" I have with grout sponges and such, which is why I haven't used them yet.

Waiting for my sheepskin eurow's to basically disintegrate first.

16. Mindflux

Interesting. One of the vendors has those for nearly a 1/3 of what AG wants for them. I might pick up a few.

17. Bunky

Bunky Guest

With all the tentacles, doesn't that count as a nap?

I use the thumbless wool mitt, chenille dreadlock style, and the uber sponge once in a while. Wool mitts really transfer suds to paint compared to the mf mitts.

18. Mindflux

Not the way I consider NAP on a sheepskin. The 'dreds' are too big and far apart to pull away grit (IMHO) compared to sheepskin with it's dense hair.

I think next up is a Shmitt.

19. co78

co78 DB Forum Supporter

that is what I thought at first, but it's really soft, and haven't seen any swirls caused by the wash mitt in over a year of using that and ONR.

20. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Race Glaze Sheepskin is the bomb for shampoo, but I like a grout sponge for ONR.