VW Jetta Headlight Restore + Mini Detail

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by ACE2790, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Forced my fiancee' to let me get a hold of her 2006 VW Jetta this weekend to do some much needed work on it. Replaced the front center grill, restored both headlights, and did a mini detail. Didn't have time to do a full correction so instead I washed, clayed, then layed on a layer of Collinite. Sorry the only pics are of the headlights and grill, the car is silver so use your imagination for the rest of it haha.

Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

Cool, looks clean.

3. robby.wang

robby.wang Virgin Detailer

What did you use on the headlights?

4. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

I wetsanded with 800,1000 and 2000 grit then polished using PF2500. I then did an IPA wipedown and put down to coats of rattle can clear coat for added UV protection. Again wetsanded that with 2000 grit and polished once more to get the final result.

5. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Nice work!

6. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

They look really good ... great work. Did you spray the clear without removing the headlights? How did you handle the clear overspray?

I have to do this repair on my wife's suv and I was planning to remove the headlights, but it's a PITA.

7. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

I used Scotch Blue painters tape to tape up the body panel edges around the headlight then used mostly old towels and tape to drape and cover areas i didn't want overspray.