VW Concours vs. Lusso oro

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by vrwm, Dec 14, 2007.

1. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

I'm looking for a deep wet shine. I'm not ready to go into more expensive waxes yet. I don't really have an eye for waxes. Mostly I've been letting my brother buy waxes:whistle:. He has been buying Turtle Wax Ice for his s2k :roll: , but I want to see what a real wax looks like. I'm looking for anything under the $ 150.00 price range. I'm looking into both of these, but recommendations are welcome.

2. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

There are alot of people on this sight that will tell you that the high quality (expensive) waxes by these companies like victoria wax, swissvax, and zymol are nothing short of fantastic. And Im sure they are.

But, I would suggest looking into a quality boutique wax at a cheaper price range, if this is your first step forward from the turtle wax. Excellent results can be had with many many LSPs that do not cost $150+. Its also my opinion that it takes a very discerning eye to spot the high dollar carnubas vs the reasonably priced ones. I tend to think that most of the final look is in the paint quality and the preparation.

I dont know much about lusso, but I think its priced more reasonably if I remember.

What color is the car, this will greatly influence the decision. If it is a metallic, try I would recommend DP Max Wax as an excellent wax that is affordable, a dream to use, and looks excellent especially on metallic paint.

If it is a solid darker color, I like poorboys natty's blue, and even souveran is priced way lower then 150, but people say the Lusso gives a similar look for less.

All I'm saying is that theyre are plenty of waxes to experiment with and get excellent results with for a reasonable price, and I would rather spend the money/time on prepping the paint as good as I can.

This is in no way meant to take anything away from the higher priced quality carnubas, as I'm sure they are wonderful, I just wouldnt recommend the investment to someone just getting into detailing.

3. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Chemical Guys 5050, Pete's 53, DP max wax, Pinnacle waxes will all deliver awesome results at reasonable prices...

I'm sure Swissvax waxes are great waxes too, but I'm not ready to buy it yet...

4. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the tips. My brothers S2k is Silverstone, I have a red Eclipse, and A black 95 Impala SS. I have the materials for a great prep job on the way over, menz, some cg clays, and some other items, just need something to top it off with. I think i may be going with Lusso Oro as a main, but I think might order a few to play around with like the vw. I just wanted an imput on what I should start out with. :cheers:

5. Nica

Nica Banned

I agree with what's being said here, but to be honest and fair...where you want to spend majority of your time is on the polishing/paint correction. That is crutial to get the vehicle looking flawless, with out a flawless polish you won't get that perfect apperance. The wax provides that extra umph and VW are really good, bang for your buck you wont go wrong with it :thumb:....uh but then it's all downhill from there...then you want to try something else, something that gives you that extra umpsh..lol..you'll see lol..what ever you shoose I'm sure you will like.

6. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

I could be wrong, but I think FMINUS' S2K is silver. May want to see what he likes on his car.

My car's color is called quicksilver metallic. I loved DP Max Wax, especially at the price point. Come spring time I will be trying pinnacle signature series II, its suppose to be an awesome wax for metallics as well.

Again I havent used it, but I bet the Lusso would look excellent on you red and black cars.

good luck and dont forget the pics when you do the cars!

:dance:

7. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Dontsleeponit and Supercharged both gave you some very good advice. Like it has been said a lot looks of waxes are very subjective. Like they said I would start with a really good wax that is a little more affordable that way you have tried them and when you step up in price you have a very very good baseline to compare it to. If you buy a $150 wax and you can't really tell a huge difference in your car from the $50-$75 wax then why fork out the extra. For the record I really am liking the Lusso Oro. It looks incredible and so much like Souveran to me that it's scary, because it's half the price of Souveran. I've never tried 5050 but I really like Pete's 53 as well. Shoot for $150 you could buy Oro, Pete's 53, and Souveran and compare 3 waxes.

8. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

Completely agree with you on that one Nica.

Here are some shots of my silver GTO after a detail with XMT 360 and then Max Wax...
    dontsleeponit/gto detail - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

9. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the imput guys. I'm learning so much here. I love how this place is just a small community, compared to some other forums. :thumb:

I'm probably going to get a few waxes, and do some side by side comparsions. Try to develop an eye for wax and move on from there. I feel like this is gonna be a new addiction looking for what wax to use. Like Nica said all down hill from here.lol

10. JLs Detailing

Yeah but at least with this addiction you have one bad ass looking car, or in your case 3! I think finding the perfect wax is like searching for the Holy Grail...it may be a never ending search but the journey will be quite fun!

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Well said buddy, well said :applause:

I totally agree with this statement :thumb: and that's what detailing is all about a journey..every car you detail it's a new journey :hug:

12. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

I'll have 2.5 sick looking cars lol . the eclipse needs to be resprayed in some sections . I just got permission from my uncle to use his garage. So when everything comes in I'll be able to start working on the cars. :dance: I'll get pics up as soon as I can.

13. JLs Detailing

Can't wait to see them!

14. PhantomGoat

PhantomGoat Guest

there are plenty of amazing waxes out there for a good price

15. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I would personally have a hard time spending more than $150 for a good wax. Swissvax is about as outlandish as I would go.

16. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Maxwax topped with spray souveran:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]