Volvo S60 R Major Paint Correction

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Darkstar752, May 1, 2012.

1. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Hi guys,

Been really busy and backed up on getting write-ups out but I'm working overtime to change that :) Here's a beautiful Volvo S60 R, and very rare in this color combo as the owner told me. I believe it was in the teens or single digits of this color scheme. The car also had a bunch of additional work done to the engine and exterior, most notably an added second exhaust pipe and a remounted intercooler. The car was putting 425hp and it rumbled and growled like it should.

Mileage was around 80,000 and it showed. The process took about 17 hours. Not too many durings as it was threatening to rain during the wash and the correction was very hard to pick up, even with a DSLR. The car had also been a victim of the dealership "DuPont Permanent Wax" which was absolutely disgusting and hard to remove. Not in a nice way either, it was sludge and somewhat like trying to wipe of a thick goo. Ew.

We'll start with some befores:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started with the rims, de-tarring showed here. Not too many wash process photos as rain was threatening:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test spot:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RIDS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Correction Phase:
    [​IMG]

Lower panels:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trunk:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Afters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading!

2. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

wow that is a rare Vovle! great work!

3. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Looks great very nice job.

4. amercour

amercour Birth of a Detailer

Fantastic. Always liked that car

5. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

That is a really interesting color combination. I was not expecting it to be so loud on the inside lol. Looks like it corrected really well also. How is it working with Volvo paint?

6. JPerrydore

JPerrydore Birth of a Detailer

Nice work! I really wasn't expecting the orange interior with the blue...not really a fan of that. Nice ride though and great work!

7. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

SweedSpeed members Car?

8. bstp

bstp Birth of a Detailer

Very nice work there Mate, and a very nice car too!

9. Darkstar752

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! :)

Yep, I believe so. He mentioned some he was on forums but I didn't ask him specifically.

I believe there were only 12 of these made in the color combo. It was nice in person, the camera tends to accentuate the color. The paint was medium-hard but overall fairly nice to work on. The clear coat was pretty thin though, averaging in the low 90's with some readings in the 80's. Highest was 106 I believe.

10. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Glad to see you post some of your recent work. Great work Bobby. I wouldn't mind having a S60R at all!!

11. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Looks good. Like the color combo. Different.

12. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

FYI: To those that have commented on the color of the leather it is called "Atacama"

13. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

nice work mang!

not a fan of the interior seat colour though..hehe...

14. Darkstar752

Thanks again everyone! :) I'll post some more write-ups soon.

Thanks Gianni! Good to hear from you. You should have seen this thing, it was a sleeper. It really had that entire rumble to the car, the powerful shake when you start it up, felt like a big muscle car V8 under the hood. Definitely appreciate this car a lot more after working on it.

Thanks for mentioning that Jason! Forgot that in the OP. Also worth mentioning the leather was unprotected, so it had a different feel to it and really sucked up the conditioner.