Volvo 460 - back to red

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by porta, Mar 8, 2008.

1. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

This car had some light to medium swirls along with oxid. The paint felt like a 320 grit paper and was dry like a desert.

So first I used tar remover on on the lower panels. Left it on for 6 minutes and then rinsed it of
    with the Kärcher.

After that I foamed the car with Allbrites cherry foam via Gilmour foam gun. Let it dwell and then Kärcher again.

Washed the car with cherry foam. Rinsed.

Clayed all the painted panels and windows. Used cherry foam and ONR as lube in a 32oz bottle with spray trigger. I love clay blocks, so much faster and easier then clay.

Rinsed the car and dried it with 2 waffle weaves.

Taped the car up with some 3M.

Now its polish time :)

Since the car had medium swirls, along with RIDS and oxid I had to laborate with some different polishing combos.

Started up with 3M extra fine cut, 80439 (yellow cap) on polishing pads with the Top Tool. It gave a good cut on the
    oxid but some swirls was present so I switched to Menzerna PO85RD3.02 and it did the trick. PO95RD3.02 left the paint
    ready for LSP. But I was not happy with the gloss so I decided to go for a finishing step. Since I have so many
    finshing polishes I went for a "polish" I know works superb on these kinds of paints. Menzerna APO60 - sealing wax.

I used the same kind of pads and applied it with the same rpm as PO85RD3.02 (Like a PC on speed 5). This step added the gloss
    a couple of notches and I was satisfied. Decided for APO60 since its a nice "polish" to top with a nuba. Did just recieved
    a jar of Collinte 476 and I will add a couple of layers tomorrow. After I wiped of APO60 I gave the car a rinse with the Kärcher
    to get rid of all the polishing residues on the trim and in cracks. Dried with tWo waffel weaves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what happens with cheaper pads under pressure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will add some more pictures of the car with a couple of layers with Collinite tomorrow.

Thanks for looking :gidiup:

2. my04lincoln

my04lincoln Two Bucket System Washer

Thats a world of difference. Good work!!:applause:

3. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Great work Porta! I really like the 50/50 shots on the hood and trunk.

4. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

WOW love pics, great job! Thanks for sharing!

5. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

Thanks, I love 50/50 shoots :)

6. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

looks really great!!!

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That is fantastic, what great 50/50 shots. My grandpa drives one of these in dark metallic blue, I bet he'd love a good polishing on that thing!!!

8. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

Great turn around. It's always great to see paint come back to life.

9. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

Give it a detail and post the pictures then :D

10. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Great job Porta...I think Red is the most rewarding color to detail..its the first color to fade also due to the pigment in the paint..and you brought the Red back to life...the 50/50 shots are very cool...shows what the paint is and can be...

Great Job

AL

11. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

Awesome 50/50 shots!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

12. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

Man oh man nice turn around on the paint. Looks like a new paint job with extra gloss...Hate that about your pad...

13. O4COBRA

O4COBRA Birth of a Detailer

What a difference.

Just used 476 myself today. Very happy to say the least!!