Vinyl wrap/overlay LSP?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by SHhhhh, May 28, 2009.

1. SHhhhh

SHhhhh Two Bucket System Washer

I just installed a flat-black vinyl overlay on my roof. I initially used 303 Aerospace Protectant after install, but for some reason I get streaks.

I am curious if I could use another kind of LSP such as FK1 1000p or CG 50/50. I am not trying to get a better look, just going for fade resistance.

:help:

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Zaino Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal, contains anti-UV agents to protect your vehicle's finish against damaging sun rays

3. richy

richy Guest

I know 303 is great for the UV protection...not sure what other products offer that as well. I would email 303 and ask them why you're getting streaks. Perhaps apply it with a foam applicator and then go back a few hours later with a damp mf and give it a wipe with even strokes. I still think 303 is your answer...it would be worth it to get an opinion from them.

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Flat black is hard to apply a dressing to, I have matte black stripes down the side of my car. What I normally do is apply the protection to a applicator that is damn apply is liberally and come back after a bit and buff it even using a qd sometimes.

5. Jay J

Jay J Birth of a Detailer

I just use plexus...You For matte you don't want to use wax. If anything a QD spray..Megs ultimate quick detailer works quite well. Use glass cleaner(non ammonia) to get a matte finish again.

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

(303™ Aerospace Protectant) UVR protection is a sacrificial / renewable component; this is due to the UV protection layer being degraded by exposure to the elements (sun, sand, road or sea salt, and etc) so it is imperative that you renew it and needs to be re-applied on a regular 45 to 60 day basis (dependent upon location climatic condition)

Application- this product should be sprayed onto a cloth and the surface to be protected should be wet, not just damp with the product. Use a clean, dry cloth and agitate to ensure the protected surface is dry (this product does not air-dry) After application allow 60 minutes for product to cure, then using a 100% cotton cloth to lightly buff surface. Do not apply to a hot surface, or try to apply a thick coating as this will cause product to streak

7. SHhhhh

Thanks guys, I will give that a shot. I have only tried 303 once on it, maybe it will even out after I do a few coats. I am going to wash the car today (1st time after install) and I will see how it goes with another 303 application.

:thumb:

8. SHhhhh

Looks like I may have applied it too thick. Thanks!

9. SHhhhh

Washed the car yesterday, 303 swirls are now gone. Anyone else have anything to share regarding paste waxes on vinyl?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

SHhhh what about Opti Seal? I go nuts on it with everything my WWIXRS:beerbang:. For me its pretty much eliminated trim dressing.

You should get a small sheet of that vinyl to test everything you have or were thinking of putting on just in case you go with a paste or thick liquid.

11. Jay J

Jay J Birth of a Detailer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Status' GS430 :p

Those are all cars I take care of for the shop I hang out at...
    THe GS430 if anything once a month gets some QD spray... (UQD) or Chem Guys AntiStatic.

The paint on the GS is polish able using a light finishing compound with barely any cut and a white pad usually..

Oh for the record..Never try to repolish a 3m generation 1 clear bra. (it'll have a matte finish to it)..you'll tear up your pad and the clearbra.

12. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Krshultz has had great luck with Bilt Hamber Auto Balm on plastic mirrors, i would try it for this