Vinyl and Carpet/upholstery protection?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by kc1337, Sep 25, 2009.

1. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

Hey guys and gals I am currently in the market for an affordable carpet/upholstery protectant and vinyl/trim dressing. The vinyl/trim dressing will be used both inside and outside while the upholstery will sometimes be used on convertible tops. What do you lot suggest?

Also I would like to know your preferrences for gel or spray types of protectant for trim/vinyl and why you prefer a gel or spray protectant.

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

303 vinyl/fabric convertible top cleaner

303 aerospace protectant.

I used these when I had a 'vert. great products.

3. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Meg's #40 is pretty good as well. I only have a sample of it though, so I haven't used it a bunch.

4. kc1337

Is the vinyl product safe for engine bays as well?

5. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

both 303 aerospace protectant and meg's #40 are safe dressings for engine bay plastics.

6. kc1337

by the way, does the 303 vinyl dressing like to attract dust and feel greasy after application?

7. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Nope. Still, I wouldn't put it on something you are constantly touching, like a steering wheel or stick shift.

8. GDAL

GDAL Guest

+1 for 303 and I also use Vinylex (from the makers of lexol) which is really similar to 303.

9. kc1337

is the 303 vinyl/fabric cleaner necessary or can i just use some diluted APC?

10. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

kc look in the recent show and shine or the pro area i could have swore i saw one that showed the gloss (or lack of) of a few matte interior products.

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

303, Vinylex & Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care are all water based, leave no greasy feeling and do not attract dust.

12. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Vinyl protectant: I keep coming back to Vinylex. I tried 303, and it's great stuff. Vinylex is every bit as good, easier to find, and less expensive. I use it a lot.

Upholstery protectant: the only one I've ever tried is Scotchguard. I don't like it. I don't know if it works well or not; the smell of it gave me a headache, so I quit using it.