Using the Leatherique Products

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Cooter, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Cooter

Cooter Guest

So, let me see if i've got this right. You use the Rejuvvinating Oil and then the Pristine clean?? How do you do your application??

Thanks,
    Heath

:deal:

2. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

vac seats.

Apply RO very thick. I spray it on and work it in by hand with gloves.

For best results let the car sit out in the sun for a day, the hotter the better. You can reapply the RO when it gets sucked into the leather if you like.

Apply PC to one section at a time, I also spray it on and work it in by hand.

I then have a cotton hand towel, that I dip in a bucket of warm water. I wring it out and wipe the area, flipping the towel till I see no more dirt on the towel.

Spray PC on the next area and repeat.

3. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Apply the RO with a pc?

thanks for the reply btw

4. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

PC in this case = Protection Cream, not the buffer

5. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Thanks !!

6. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Heat gun works well too :)

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Before using a leather care product a detailer needs to know the material they are working on, and wither the product chosen is compatible with the material and will not damage it. Diagnosis is the key, not guess work. Before deciding on what products to use you need to ascertain what type of leather finish you have and wither the pigmented leather has a polyurethane covering, or is (un-coated) finished natural leather, as the cleaning / maintenance varies as to type; although they all require a water-based product to maintain hydration (a suede type leather like Nubuck is the exception).

Automotive leather care is a subject surrounded with misinformation and myth, products such as leather (Saddle) soaps, oil-based Conditioners, Neats-foot oil, and Hide Food still prevail as top sellers, albeit most are made for equestrian tack, Leatherequi is also a very popular product that is used in a market that is dominated by pigmented leather with an acrylic polythene protective covering; which are very different leathers with completely differing care requirements. The exact reason why this is the case is unclear. It’s possible that there is an association with old world quality (i.e. leather upholstery and burl wood interiors) with these types of products, despite the fact that the automotive industry has been using polyurethane covered pigmented leather for many years

As the materials and production methods that are used on automobiles change; we need to adapt to them and adjust products used and their application methodologies to keep pace with them

8. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Great information Thanks!

9. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

PC=prestine clean when talking about leatherique.

10. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

Doh!!..I must have had Leather Masters on the Brain!

11. karburn

karburn Two Bucket System Washer

I use Leatherique as described, but then the car I use it on is 21 years old. I've had great success with it, but if I get a newer vehicle with leather trim, I'd have to reevaluate just what to use after what I've read here. Perhaps there is a guideline or rule of thumb as to when a car might have the poly covering as opposed to just plain leather. Togwt???

12. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

I use the Leatherique system twice a year on my Z06 seats and they still look like new. Anybody that owns a vette knows how quick these seats usually wear out and to have a pair with 15,000 miles on them look like they are brand new is quite an accomplishment for any product to produce. I highly recommend it.

My only complaint is it works best on a hot day so I need to do it in the spring and fall in order to space it out every 6 months.

I also use the Pristine Clean as a quick wipe down every month whenever I do not use Zaino Z9 and Z10 whick are also excellent leather products. I even use the Z9 and Z10 on my couch, it makes the entire house smell great.

13. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Before using a leather care product a detailer needs to know the material they are working on, and wither the product chosen is compatible with the material and will not damage it. Diagnosis is the key, not guess work. Before deciding on what products to use you need to ascertain what type of leather finish you have and wither the pigmented leather has a polyurethane covering, or is (un-coated) finished natural leather, as the cleaning / maintenance varies as to type; although they all require a water-based product to maintain hydration (a suede type leather like Nubuck is the exception).

Automotive leather care is a subject surrounded with misinformation and myth, products such as leather (Saddle) soaps, oil-based Conditioners, Neats-foot oil, and Hide Food still prevail as top sellers, albeit most are made for equestrian tack, Leatherequi is also a very popular product that is used in a market that is dominated by pigmented leather with an acrylic polythene protective covering; which are very different leathers with completely differing care requirements. The exact reason why this is the case is unclear. It’s possible that there is an association with old world quality (i.e. leather upholstery and burl wood interiors) with these types of products, despite the fact that the automotive industry has been using polyurethane covered pigmented leather for many years.

Basic Leather care - Basic Leather Care - Auto Geek Car Care, Car Wax and Auto Detailing Forum

14. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

togwt - what's your opinion on Leather Conditioners & Protectors? I've read that conditoners accelerate wear and soiling. Protectors are what we should be using instead.

15. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Leather Conditioners:
    I have discussed this issue with many people in the leather tanning / preservation / care products industry and haven't received a definitive answer.
    My issues are
    (a) How much conditioner will permeate the thick polyurethane top coat on the leather

(b) Chrome tanned leather hide is sealed at the tannery and then pigmented; what could a conditioner do for the hide?

Approximately 90% of vehicle manufacturers are using a split-leather hide and a (thermoplastic) polyurethane covering for their interior upholstery. Vehicle upholstery is chrome tanned and uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane coating and / or a vinyl covering to make it more viable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, which besides body oil is leathers worst enemy.

The complex tanning process of chromed tanned hides results in the fat liquoring and oils necessary to keep the hide soft and pliable being locked in, this is further sealed by a durable polyethylene covering to protect the hide from abrasion from clothing as well as the dust / dirt introduced by the vehicle’s AC system.

This type of automotive upholstery finish should not be considered a natural leather hide as far as care and its maintenance is concerned, only requiring that you maintain its moisture and protect it from ultra violet (UV) radiation. A water-based cleaner will permeate the polyurethane covering as its molecules are much smaller

Diagnosis is the key; not guesswork; the most important first step in the process of leather care / renovation is diagnosing the surface finish; using oil-based products on polyurethane covered split leather may cause the water-based pigment to loose its adhesion, making further restoration very difficult if not impossible. Over using oils can make both the polyurethane and the leather soft and has the potential to stretch causing the stitching and possibly both the hide and polyurethane to fracture. Oils will also heave a detrimental effect on the polyethylene covering causing it to disintegrate

Leather Protection is far more viable and will provide better long-term benefits than a conditioner as so many so called leather conditioners utilize chemical solvents in order to facilitate penetration of there oils; this has a detrimental effect of the polyethylene covering causing fissures (cracking). If your leather upholstery is becoming inflexible use Leather Master’s Vital, as leather requires re-hydration (moisture replacement) not a leather conditioner.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved

My best advise; research other options and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information not hype or brand loyalty. After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you.