Used a ShMitt for the first time...

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by reefer_bob, May 19, 2008.

1. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

I'm still not sure about it...

My washing situation isn't the best. I've got two huge trees over my drive way which drop needles and pollen puff balls on my cars all the time. I can't get away from it, but it does offer great shade.

I've been a long time user of Megs Gold Class Sheep Skin mits. Their down fall is they trap all the stuff that the trees drop. I kinda think it traps that stuff away from the paint, but it's tough to tell. It's nearly impossible to get all the crap out of the mitt.

That's where the Shmitt is really nice. I do a pannel, inspect it, pull the tree stuff off, rinse, repeat! It also holds a TON of water.

What I'm not sold on is what it's doing to the paint. I'm just not sold on sponges to wash the car in general. I really feel like it should be more prone to marring than a something fluffy. I do want to try the Ulti-Mitt next.

Anyway, I'll wash another couple cars with the Shmitt. It deserves a fair test.

2. Nica

Nica Banned

I've been using the black ShMITT for a wile now, I did have the white one but that one didn't last so long and like you reefer_bob I just didn't feel so confortable...I mean if I was doing paint corection it didn't really matter but not for regular maintenance...I'm quite plesed with the Zymol sponge.

Thanks for shraring.

3. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I'm on the fence with the SchMITT as well. One of the reasons is the fact that it's white. I purchased the Ulti-Mit first so I was biased when I got my SchMITT. I do notice that with the SchMITT, dirt particles do get embedded into the foam, which is a good thing.

I used my Ulti-Mit for a full summer and fall on the same car before I purchased my SchMITT. In addition to washing another couple cars with the SchMITT, I'd suggest you continue to use it for as long as possible on one car between polishes to really get a good opinion and feel for it. Ok, that's what *I'm* trying to do and just don't want to be the only one, so join me in my test! :thumb:

4. budman3

budman3 Birth of a Detailer

I'm kind of the opposite of you MadOzodi, I bought a shmitt because of the new product hype and then the LC Ulti-mitt from the same hype and haven't used a shmitt since. The shmitt sure does hold a lot of soap and water which is nice, but it's lost a spot in my line up.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Perhaps I'm the only one that really likes the ShMITT. I love those things and have yet to see any marring whatsoever from using them.

6. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I think I backed you up before on this, P1et, but I'm a ShmiTT guy too!!! I've learned to be very gental with it. It does hold a lot of water and suds. I glide it back and forth in long movements per panel. If you're going along and need some extra suds, just give it an extra squeeze from inside, and you have suds on demand.

7. MAKDaddy626

MAKDaddy626 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I'm just the opposite about the color... I had the SchMITT first and then got the UltiMIT and I still like the white better becaue I feel that I can see whether it's clean enough to put back on the next panel. I have to give the nod to the UltiMITT though for durability and I've been using it on my own black truck for nearly 6 months and haven't noticed it inducing any swirls. I believe in using virtually no pressure for washing though, if something is stuck on, I get a stonger cleaner.

8. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

We need someone to make one of those foam wash mitts that are like the foam tabbed polishing pads...essentially, a chenille foam wash mit, lol.

9. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

yup i just ordered 10 zymol sponges..definitely the best i have found. other sponges are too hard and their pockets are huge and can hold to many particles..i think it was a meguires(don't qoute me on that) one i used once..it scratched the shit out of my paint.. i think that's why sponges in general get a bad rap but the zymol sponge as it is right now is the only one i will use..i was actually thinking of trying the swissvax washing cloth!!!

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Where did you buy the Zymol sponges?

11. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Yeah the zymol sponges are great, I now only use them after I brought a few since they were always in your write ups.

12. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I love white/yellow Shmitt! I think it's one of the best mitts out there...Just ordered Shmitt GS from AG, I think they are discontinuing those, so it was 2 for $15, couldn't pass that out!

13. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

ya, I think I'm gonna have to jump on some 1Z Cockpit and those Shmitt GSes. Doubt I'm gonna be able to hit the $95 mark though, but that's OK.

14. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

I got mine from autoanything.com as it was like $15 for 3 sponges. I have been using the same one for quite a while now and it is barely wearing out.

15. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Zymol Sponges are awesome. Phil from DD has some "Uber Sponges" that work just the same. ;)

16. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

I have not seen "uber sponges" on the website... Just the Uber wash mitt which is lambs wool...

Speak on this!

17. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Shmitt is nice. I alternate with that and the grout sponge. I wish I can use the grout sponge all the time but it's too thick to get in some places, like under the spoiler on my car.

18. J_Edwards

J_Edwards Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I would like to see an actual comparison between sponges. I have heard really good things about the zymol sponges, but I have yet to try one out personally.

I typically ONR all the cars that I deal with, so the combo of the schmitt and the grout sponges has been really effective with me so far. I wonder if the zymol sponges would be a better choice for me though?

19. Jimmie

Jimmie Birth of a Detailer

ShMitt here. Give it a little more time. There is a breakin period and it gets more flexible.