Unique Car Care - Severely Trashed Jet Black BMW!!

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Rickrack, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

This Jet Black BMW 328i was brought in for an extensive paint correction this past winter. The owner had just purchased it from a dealership and was not pleased with the condition of the car because of the heavy swirling, scratches, severe marring, etc…

Needless to say, the car was just a little dirty when it arrived due to the drive down all the way from Maine. It was covered in road salt and loaded with sand and grime, so I knew it was going to be a very long and extensive wash. In order to prep the car for polishing, it was crucial to remove every little bit of sand and salt from every crack and crevice. The last thing you want is to have dirt falling out of the cracks while polishing and contaminate your buffing pad, creating damage to the paint.

This is what the car looked like when it arrived at the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, it was absolutely covered with salt and sand, so the first step was to give the entire car a thorough rinse.

[​IMG]

Dirt was just pouring out of the wheel wells…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the huge mud puddle it created!

[​IMG]

After the rinse, I cleaned all door, hood and trunk jambs with degreaser using a variety of brushes to ensure every bit of sand and salt were removed, as well as the engine bay. I used a Swissvax brush saturated with degreaser to get all the little nooks and crannies as clean as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I soaked down the car down with suds using my foam gun and let it dwell for several minutes before rinsing it using high pressure to remove any additional contaminants from the paint to reduce the chance of marring the paint. The owner had told me that the paint was pretty rough underneath, but I didn’t want to make any more work for myself by marring the paint. I was very careful while washing and rinsed my wash media constantly to keep it as clean as possible. Once the paint was free of salt and sand, I gave it a claybar treatment to remove any bonded contaminants.

[​IMG]

After almost 4 hours of washing, I dried the exterior, wiped all jambs clean and blew out all cracks and crevices with purged air to remove any additional dirt that might have been hiding.

This is what the paint looked like….OUCH!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the paint was severely damaged and needed some serious attention to get it looking like it should. In addition to being heavily scratched and swirled, it was the dreaded super-soft BMW Jet Black paint that is always a pleasure to deal with (being sarcastic).

Normally, I would have reached for Meguiars 105 and a Surbuf pad, but since the paint was in such bad condition, I reached for my rotary. I decided to do a ‘test panel’ first to see what worked the best.

This is what the door looked like after a pass of M105 using an orange foam pad via rotary. As you can see in the picture below, it removed all the major defects, but still needs some refining.

[​IMG]

I ended up compounding the complete exterior with M105/orange foam pad/rotary, which took some time to remove all defects. After the compounding stage, I gave the exterior an intensive wash to remove all compound spatter from the cracks and crevices before moving on to the next polishing step.

For the second polishing step, I used Menzerna Power Finish using an orange pad via Griots DA polisher. This really brought the paint back to life and removed all the compounding haze left from the previous step. Because the paint was so soft, I performed a third polishing step using Menzerna 85rd paired with a crimson hydro-tech pad via DA, which produced an ultra deep, swirl-free shine. Once all polishing was complete, I sealed it with Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and topped with Collinite 915.

Here are the final results!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

M105 doesn't finish too terribly on this soft paint. You think its doable to go to PO85RD on an LC white to refine it further (after M105)?

3. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Amazing work Rick. That thing was "Hammered" !!!!!

4. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great job!

5. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

This is true.
    Salt on a car is just torture. I wouldn't own a black car in Maine.

6. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Very nice work friend, good thing he got to you soon.

7. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

That was nasty, awesome correction as usual!

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Fantastic save! That was in brutal condition.

9. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Rick you should have a "Bruins' hat on as that was a goalie like save..................I know corny............but I am going with it, "Tightness certified" again.

10. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

Great Job Rick; please tell me the roads had dried up for his trip back up north

11. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Great job. I am assuming this is from the past winter?

12. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

oh man...that thing was 2 tone with all that salt on there. Nice save i bet the customer felt it was way worth the drive.

13. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

Wow, excellent work! Must have been a lot to swallow seeing that thing pull up.

-Kody-

14. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

That's beautiful work Rick! Thanks for sharing

15. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

nice save! Its black again!

16. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Virgin Detailer

Holy cow that thing was hammered from front to back. Looks awesome now, I hope the owner can keep it that way.
    Great job.

17. TimAD

TimAD Jedi Nuba

You started with a Black saltsicle and turned it back into a black Bimmer. Great work!

18. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

Thanks again guys!

This was done last winter... You guys down south are lucky that you don't have to deal with sand and salt!