Under hood cleaning.

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by POPPAJ, Jan 7, 2009.

1. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

Is there a degreaser product out there that will not discolor uncoated aluminum,magneisum and other metals under the hood? How do I get the like new appearance back to these items? Block, head etc. Only 6000 miles, clean but metal discolored.

2. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

A dedicated metal polish (i.e., Autosol, Meguiar's NXT Metal Polish, etc) won't hurt and may do the trick. Repeated applications may be needed.

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Is the engine really dirty or does it just need a light cleaning? If its not greasy or oily, I would think most APCs diluted down would do the trick without damaging anything. The only way to bring back the look to metal parts is polishing them. Got any pics of the motor POPPAJ? You must have pics, right?

4. POPPAJ

Sorry, no pics, computer noob. Fairly clean, 2009 Pontiac VIBE GT w/6000 miles motor cleaned once. This is where I got the discoloration on the aluminum block and magnesium head. Looks like I just used too strong a product, Gunk, to clean the engine.

Thanks for the help Guys!:applause:

5. 911Fanatic

My guess is that the Gunk is what did it. Its very strong. Get yourself a gallon of Megs APC from one of the e-tailers. It dilutes down nicely and for a newer car will definitely do what you need. I would try the Megs metal polish as well. Autosol is very strong - great for exhaust tips and the such if something is very dirty or corroded.

6. POPPAJ

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be removing the heat shields and exhaust manifold with the attached cat for ceramic coating soon. At that time I'll remove whats required to gain acess to the rest of the engine, give it a good hand wash/scrub with diluted apc as suggested and then hit it with hand polishing. Anything I can apply to preserve the soon to be gleaming surfaces to keep it looking good? How about high temp clear?

When I get it done I'll see if my first born can post some picks for me! A little pay back to Dad for the Masters Degree in Computer Sciences!!!!

Thanks again everyone, what a great site!!! :applause2:

7. 911Fanatic

I talked to Clark at Polished Bliss recently about the Blackfire Metal Sealant. He says it has good durability, even on his exhaust tips. You may want to try it. Properautocare carries it.

8. Clark

Clark Two Bucket System Washer

Yep, I love the BF metal Sealant. I've just been under my car tonight and anything metal has been sealed with the stuff. I really rate it on wheels too :thumb:

9. Simz

Simz Any Rag Vehicle Washer

sorry for been 6 month late, but does blackfire metal sealant can be use on motorcycle exhaust.

Can I use poorboys wheel sealant. or any other??6

10. Domman56

Domman56 Birth of a Detailer

11. VWGTI

VWGTI Virgin Detailer

What I found works really well is Simple Green. I use it all the time with great results. The important thing to remember is to clean a cold/cool engine. I do not use the Simple Green straight though, I use a 50/50 mix. Spray it on, let is soak and scrub with a wet brush. I then rise the motor with cool water and not a lot of pressure.
    Dry the engine as best you can and let apply some dressing to finish it off.

Attached Files:

12. magnummur

magnummur Virgin Detailer

seems simple green is a very effective product...I like using it as well

13. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

I was just going to ask how you rate this as a wheel sealant!!!

14. chost10

chost10 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Use a solvent based degreaser instead of a acid based degreaser.:thumb:

15. POPPAJ

Thanks for all the replies guys. The Gunk product was just too strong. Using diluted OPC followed by CD2 now and all is well.