Uber Pad Info/Feedback

Discussion in 'Detailers Domain' started by Emile, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Hey Guys,

After playing around yesterday I have decided that I am tired of my Hydro-Tech 6.5" Pads gumming up too much. They dry out the polish too soon, they spatter shit everywhere, and they generally get clogged up way before they should. I keep reading only good things about the Uber Pads so can I please get some feedback before I order/pickup a few pads from Phil, my friendly neighborhood detailer/retailer.

Can I get some info on what pads you would use for these polishes:
    Menzerna SIP (used more for relying on the polish for correction - not too aggressive)
    Menzerna Power Finish PO203 (used as a one-stepper or for medium-duty correction)
    Menzerna Super Finish 106FA (used as a finish polish or for light correction and finishing)

I am sorry if this is a bit of a wacky/trick question but I am just trying to get an idea of how the pads truly rack up; vehicles are daily driven so 100% correction and showroom-shine are not a priority for me.

Thanks,
    Emile

2. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I'd use green with any of those... Green is such and awesome pad, nice and soft so it finishes nicely but still can do some cutting.

3. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I agree 100% the green pad is so versatile with many polishes, any of the Uber pads work well. Kyle made a good point yesterday that the orange pad is good but the Yellow pad does pretty well also and leaves a nicer finish and is also good with several Menz polishes.

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I have every single one of them, and keep reaching for the Green Uber pad on anything but a final finishing pad, for which I use the blue one.

Best pads out there. BAR NONE!

5. Emile

Thanks guys. I will have to get some green pads and maybe another color. I already have two 6.5" CCS Blue Finishing Pads so I don't think I need any real finish pad yet. Maybe I will get greens and yellows from Phil.

I don't want to go too crazy with pads because I still have to buy a Flex or Metabo rotary from Phil (one of the light-weight ones) and I plan on getting Uber 5.5" pads for the rotary. Shit, so much saving up to do.

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

The only other pads I'm even interested in try is the PFW and the 3M UK stuff....

7. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

To date, I've used the Uber Green. I LOVE this pad. Coupled w/ Menzerna PO203s, it's a VERY versatile combo.

Last night I got a chance to play around with a of BMW 3-series headlamp lenses. Wetsanded the lense with 600 grit paper, then upp to 1000 grit (did not have any 800 in hand), 1500, 2000, 2500 and finally with 3000 grit paper.

I taped of one section of the freshly sanded lense, and then tackled one part with a PFW 3.4-4" pad with Menzerna Powergloss, and the other side with PO203s and the 4" Uber green pad. With some additional pressure while using the Uber green, I was able to remove the hazing and bring the portion being worked to a nice shine. The side with the PFW and Powergloss took care of hazing, but added it's own micro-marring that was cleared up with the PO203s and Uber green combo.

You may have to make an additional pass or two, but this setup was able to exceed the finish as compared to the other approach.

BTW: this was all performed using a rotary (Makita 9227c)

8. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

Im pretty sure Uber green is LC flat white dyed 'Uber green'

It finishes the same exact way for me with every product compared to LC white, has the same physical feel in my hands. Other people also get the same result when using white and uber green.

9. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

It's the fact that's it's green that makes it superior!

:thumb:

10. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

I haven't had time to use the pads. Too busy with school and terrible weather right now.

11. Emile

So is it safe to assume that Uber Orange = CCS Orange and Uber Yellow = CCS Yellow?

12. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I don't think so...

I always thought the Uber pads were made by SM Arnold?

13. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

Just get them all and probably pass on the orange ones. After being at phils shop and hanging out with 15 detailers all day yesterday you still have questions?? Lol

14. kei169

kei169 Wax on..Wax off

Wow!!
    By the way, how was the gathering in Phil's shop?
    Tell us about it!

15. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

amazing!!!!!

16. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

I bet! all of us on the West Coast need to plan a meet at Ken's shop! Ken, we're tying you up and having at your shelves!

17. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

The green Uber pad is pretty amazing. The only pad I use anywhere near as often is the 3M UK yellow pad. The yellow Uber pad is also excellent, and I have abandoned all my other heavy cutting foam pads in favor of it.

I have yet to try any of Phil's finishing pads, mostly because I'm so in love with my blue 3M UK finishing pad. But on the strength of the other Ubers I've got, I'll certainly give their polishing pads a shot once my blue 3M UK pad needs to be replaced.

18. kei169

kei169 Wax on..Wax off

There isn't any downturn by getting some uber, instead of asking for so many advices, y don't just get that, if u don't like it, u can sell it here!

19. Emile

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I know which direction I'm going to go.

20. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

lol yeah dont think he will sell them after.

your main problem is using those huge pads. i use 4" mainly. dont remember when i used 5 last time. but with rotary ill probably gona use 5'5