Uber Orange 6" Pad - Falling apart?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by StreetShotz, Jun 7, 2014.

1. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

Seeing as I am rather new to using a DA I think I may have done something wrong.
    I was doing some light compounding on my Supra last night and was using the Uber Orange pad on my Rupes 21 and it started to shred itself to pieces.

I was using it on a flat surface, only the machines weight on the pad, very light on the compound, pad was centred.

The pad started to break apart right where the velcro joins to the foam.

Any idea what a noob was doing wrong here?

ri69h8i7lv likes this.
  2. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

How many panels had you done?? Could be a heat issue. Also the rupes because of its big throw does kind of go through pads quickly.

StreetShotz likes this.
  3. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

I had done about 5 panels with the pad. The heat was kept low, very little heat in the pad or paint.

The other Uber pads I am using are lasting great, just the Orance (med compound) pad that has had this issue.
    I think I will order another one and see how that goes, if its the same perhaps trying another pad for this.

4. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

which polish or compound were you using? I'm going to guess the pad may not have been primed and there was a bit of a heat issue.

5. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

Pad was fully primed, spent a good amount of time priming the pad to insure a quick and even cut with the pad.
    I was using Sonax Perfect Finish on the pad.

Perhaps I should have used more to prime the pad, however I primed it more than I see most people do (often see people with quick detailer and 4-5 spots of compound). On my pad there was not a dry spot on the surface and I added 5 small pee sized drops on there. Worked a 2x2 area.
    For half the car it was great, for the other half it just started shredding :p

I think perhaps it was me as I do not see anyone having this issue anywhere.

Any pointers other than perhaps priming the pad more?