Toyota warns about faulty engines

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by togwt, Jul 1, 2010.

1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Japanese car giant Toyota has warned about potential faults with the engines of about 270,000 cars it has sold worldwide, including the luxury Lexus.
    It said the engines could stall while being driven, but affected vehicles have not yet been recalled.

BBC News - Toyota warns about faulty engines

2. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

ill stick with my ford f350 diesels!!!!!

3. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

seems even the biggest car companies have been affected by the GFC (read cost cutting)

4. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Thats what happens when you get greedy. They need to revert back to the 1990's quality that everyone fell in love with. I'm a diehard Toyota person but even I notice the shortcomings of materials in my 2010 Camry vs my 1996 ES300

5. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

Toyota made the same mistake American car companies made: they became complacent. Because they really were unmatched by most other car manufacturers for quality and reliability during the past decade or two, they developed the idea that they could now relax their product line because they had such a steady and diehard consumer base who bought into the reliable and high quality reputation as well as a lack of competition from US car companies even if the current products do not share the same standard as before.

Now, it is biting them in the rear. I don't mind if a company conducts a recall, however I believe it is massively fraudulent that Toyota have been paying off people to keep their problems quiet to retain their reputation while there were many quality issues across the board.

6. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

Toyota made the same mistake American car companies made: they became complacent. Because they really were unmatched by most other car manufacturers for quality and reliability during the past decade or two, they developed the idea that they could now relax their product line because they had such a steady and diehard consumer base who bought into the reliable and high quality reputation as well as a lack of competition from US car companies even if the current products do not share the same standard as before.

Now, it is biting them in the rear. I don't mind if a company conducts a recall, however I believe it is massively fraudulent that Toyota have been paying off people to keep their problems quiet to retain their reputation while there were many quality issues across the board.

7. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

well most all of us now days are aware if the fact that the toyota line has been tainted. problem is they are just getting cheap and sloppy with their vehicle line as well as a lot of other manufacturers. even cars that are constructed of mostly all plastic are really pricey.

quality is gone and the paint now days is crap.

BTW Ford f350 turbo diesels r bad ass as well as Chevy turbo diesels

8. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Toyota really has YO in the middle...kinda sad, as they are not as dependable as they used to be...

9. XanderNFS

XanderNFS Virgin Detailer

I just watched a commercial about the 'safety of Toyota'. WOW

10. richy

richy Guest

Christian...Hyundai is going to beat Toyota at its own game and kick it's ass. I love their new products for design (was always their weak point) and their quality is Stellar (no pun intended,LOL). I want to drive the new Equus.

11. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

I have a Toyota Yaris hatch and a camry, but when I change my car, I will get the Hyundai. Price/Quality/Warranty-wise, still better than Toyota, Honda or Acura.

12. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

+ 1 for hyundai, but im a VW fan, I think vw quality just getting better n better

13. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

14. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

It's just a recall blown out of proportion by the press once again.

When I first got my Subaru, I received notice of a recall about my car's turbocharger oil supply pipe possibly being faulty, which would cause my engine to catch on fire. They took care of the problem and I never read about this issue in any newspapers.

A stalled engine while driving is hardly much to worry about compared to an engine catching on fire.

15. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

You think a stalled vehicle on the fast lane of an autoban or motorway is only a minor problem?

Any serious design fault should be the subject of a mfg recall

16. Emile

Obviously a recall must be issued but I'm just saying it's not a major issue. I'm sure it's similar to getting a flat tire on a major highway!

17. memnuts

memnuts Any Rag Vehicle Washer

But it is a major issue. The motors are failing because Toyota installed poorly made valve springs. Apparently the wire used to make the springs was not properly inspected for nicks. I had a materials prof. in college that worked for a valve spring manufacturer for an American car company and even he said valve springs do not tolerate any flaws. Any flaws in the material whether it be a nick which would cause a stress risor or improper heat treating can lead to failure very quickly. Valve springs are designed with very little margin of safety due to weight and size limitations. Your valve springs fail and that motor is S.O.L.

18. Emile

Yeah, but what are the facts? Did Toyota make the valve springs and are therefore responsible for the quality control, or did they buy them from another company and were assured that they were inspected and approved by that company?

Recalls happen all the time, so give me a break.

19. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The mfg is responsible for the QA and final testing of any component part that is used in his product. They issue specifications and the parts should be inspected / tested to ensure compliance as the mfg is responsible for the vehicle, which includes all the component parts