Toyota MR2 - Dodo Juice detail - Hard Work !

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Prism, May 19, 2010.

1. Prism

Prism Birth of a Detailer

I was asked to work on a 1999 Toyota MR2 Roadster, When the car turned up i knew this was not going to be an easy one, most would have probably walked from the job but i was determined to make some sort of positive impact. Anyway the pics:

How the car turned up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]]

Hopefully you will notice the light/deep swirls, many RDS's over the whole car...to the extent i think someone washed it before with a brillo pad !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So i started with the alloys, using Bilberry Wheel Cleaner with a detailing brush and a long reach brush

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I rinsed the car down with the pressure washer, lightly on the hood and snowfoamed the car..rinsed, washed

[​IMG]

Rinsed again, then clayed the car

[​IMG]

I then cleaned the Fuel cap, Door Hinges and engine bay with APC, using a detailing brush to remove stubborn dirt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Worked on the roof with Renovo vinyl hood then washed and rinsed again and dried.

Once i got the car into the garage the full extent of the job was apparent

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took a few Paint Depth Readings

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I noticed a lot of bad respray, machine polished and burnt marks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So initially I opted for Menzerna Finial Finish on a Hex finishing pad, made no difference, so then I opted for power finish on a polishing pad, removed some light swirls and hazing, but not really noticable, so then opted for Meg 105 on a Sonus Cutting Pad and a Hex Cuttng pad, this removed most of the swirls, some of the RDS's but not all, had another pass over it. As a lot of the car had been resprayed, it was very difficult to tell the strike through point, so a conversation with the owner to advise how far i could take the car without ricking any serious damage which they fully understood. So now the detailed was to enhance and correct as much as possible, so refined using Meg 205 followed up with Zaino Z2, Zaino Z6 and waxed with Dodo Juice Supernatural, the wheels were finished with Jetseal 109, exhaust with Brillant Metal polish, Windows with streak free window cleaner, interior was disgusting with an out of date protien shake all inside the glove box, so cleaned that out, iped down with APC, shampoo hoovered the carpets, trim detail on the plastics and the car was done

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then it rained so some beading shots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The owner was more than happy, but i walked away feeling more than dishearted, as it was not to a standard i would hope to achieve...but as a few have said in the past, im not a miracle worker....:mad:

Thanks for viewing

Robert.

2. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

hey Robert that thing looks like a pool of black ink man. You should be happy with that as it turned out sweeeeet!

3. Jav.STi

Jav.STi Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Yeah you should be happy with your work !

The car is 100% in better condition than it was.

4. Prism

Well, being a perfectionist I was disappointed....but being professional enough to know when to stop and not chase the impossible. The owner couldnt believe how good it was, but its like when im doing veleting (unsure of the US terminology as i know that means something else)instead of detailing and i can see that any car need corrected and im gutted by the standard of the car, but its what the customer pays for, and you do the job to that level.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That is a very big turnaround, well done.

However, for having Supernatural on top of Zaino I was expecting some insane beading...

6. Prism

Well probably just the amount of rain at the time, lol the amount of beading pics i have of all the different waxes i have is scary lol nothing better than a good beading show ;)

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I hear ya, best thing about detailing is the wicked beading!

8. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

nice turnaround! love that beading shot!

9. richy

richy Guest

You did a nice job on that. I have to stop myself sometimes chasing tiny marks that the owner will never, ever see and futhermore makes no sense to strip away more clear needlessly. Especially with those readings, you want that paint to last him for years more.

10. Prism

Richy your spot on, but because we are soo close to the car and working to remove any defect we can see them, the owner couldnt. I have a new paint depth reader which would have been really handy for this car just to give maybe a little more confidence in taking it further, but with readings over 400 microns and knowing its been resprayed a "few" times it was far too difficult to know where the strike through point would be.....