Touchless Car Washes - The Good and the Bad

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Junkman2008, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Junkman2008

Junkman2008 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hey boys & girls! Another "brutha' in his garage production" coming your way!

This time I talk about the pros and cons of touch-less car washes. A lot of people think that touch-less is always the answer but as I make clear in these videos, it is not always the best route to go. There is nothing wrong with the touchless car wash process itself, it is what is done after the wash that will make or break your paint job.

Let me make sure that everyone understands that in this video, my car was driven in a light downpour. For someone who drives in a normal or heavy downpour, your car will have a much tougher film of dirt on it, especially if you allow it to dry in the sun. This film is what will create those nasty swirls over time if you continually address them wrong.

With that said, let's get to the videos!

YouTube - Touchless Wash - Good or Bad? - Part 1

YouTube - Touchless Wash - Good or Bad? - Part 2

The Junkman

:afro:

2. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Your preaching to the choir about touch less car washes. I would have to argue though that ONR washes are good for when a car has a film on it about as heavy as yours. My wife's car is 1 year old, 18xxx miles and I can say with the confidence it has not one swirled area on the car and it has seen at least a dozen if more ONR washes and a handful of two bucket washes.

Do have to say thank you for taking the time to make the videos, I hope a bunch of yuppies on youtube see this and stop going thru touchless car washes.

3. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

A rinseless and waterless wash are two completely different things. Junkman was talking about not using California dusters, QDers, and rinseless washes in film dirt.

Its a good video for all the beginners and people just getting into detailing. People have a hard time grasping what a waterless wash and rinseless wash is..and also what light dust and film dirt is.

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Sometimes hard to distinguish Waterless from Rinseless

Waterless Wash

These products, lets you wash your car without buckets, hoses, brushes, conserving water while getting a shiny car and avoiding the risks of a caustic, waxed and silicone wash detergents The user simply sprays a light atomised covering of the eco-friendly, non-toxic water based formulation onto the vehicle panel, allowing wetting agents and nano particles to loosen and encapsulate road film and salts. A soft microfiber towel simply lifts the dirt while a second gently polishes the surface to a deep protected shine.

Waterless car washing is perfect for people who face water restrictions and hose pipe bans, or would like to clean their cars and preserve and protect our natural resources.

Typical Product - Freedom Waterless Car Wash

Rinseless Wash

The science behind this cleaning process is pretty simple. When sprayed on a dirty surface; surfactants break down the soil by releasing its surface tension or bond with the surface, encapsulating the soil particles, and the polymers provide surface lubrication to enable safe (marring free) residue removal using a minimum amount of water. A micro fibre towel is then used to wipe away the dirt and formula. A second dry microfiber towel is used to help polish away any remaining formula and buff the surface to a clean, streak-free shine.

Typical Product – Optimum No Rinse™

5. Bunky

Bunky Guest

The product description used for rinseless could be the same for both waterless and rinseless.

"The science behind this cleaning process is pretty simple. When sprayed on a dirty surface; surfactants break down the soil by releasing its surface tension or bond with the surface, encapsulating the soil particles, and the polymers provide surface lubrication to enable safe (marring free) residue removal using a minimum amount of water. A micro fibre towel is then used to wipe away the dirt and formula."

The cleaning technology is about the same. The technique is just different. In the waterless method, the towel is not damp or saturated with solution but it will get damp as used. In the rinseless process, the towel is damp since it was soaked in the a quantity of solution and then rinsed in the same cleaning solution after each panel.

In both cases, some encapsulated dirt gets picked by the microfiber but will likely be in the residue solution on the paint. Both need require a drying pass.

Therefore, I assume the extra safety associated with rinseless washing is because the microber is rinsed in the bucket. But we know that grime will build up in the microfiber as used and does not all get transferred into the wash/rinse solution.

What Junkman's video would tell me is if someone foams their car with a foam gun, rinses it, then dries it, they are doing what a no touch car wash does. We know even a foam gun will not remove the oily film on the paint. It may loosen it.

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Sometimes hard to distinguish Waterless from Rinseless

Waterless car washing is only marketing fiction (closer to fiction than fact) it sound so environmentally 'green' and therefore marketable ;)

7. Bunky

Bunky Guest

The fact that the difference between rinseless and waterless is about 2 to 3 gallons of water - about the same amount of water used in just one flush of a toilet (1.6 gal if water saver, more if not).

8. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Amiable target to save water- but my point is that neither is Waterless

9. Junkman2008

Junkman2008 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

To me, moving dirt around on a car without actually doing a two bucket wash is just too dangerous. Not everyone is going to do it right so I always suggest that folks just properly wash a car if the dirt is stuck to the finish. I have personally never used or believed in a product like ONR but I wouldn't mind doing a live video test of it. That would definitely answer any questions or concerns about the product since the paint on my Corvette is as sensitive as all get out.

10. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

Excellent videos Junkman, as somebody just starting out, I find them very helpful. I've picked up a few tricks from you already. As an enthusiast, I new a few things, but it's nice to hear you cement in the little details, and I can get reassurance in my methods.

Funny how the best solution is the simplest...wash the car!

loved the waterless wash video, too...I've been doing it wrong!!

keep up the great work.

11. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I am sure an example could be made showing ONR marring paint and could equally show even how a two bucket wash can mar if that were your goal. Then the debate gets down to technique and tools and other toys like a foam gun, pressure washer. etc..

This is no different than the debate over wash media (sponge. mf, and wool mitt). Some have no issues with some and others have issues.

12. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Do you think there is an affordable product that can clean paint safely but not remove the LSP that would not contain some water?

I agree the waterless and rinseless terms are more marketing related but I do not think they are complete fiction.

I like Poorboy's product name "Spray and Wipe" for his waterless product.

13. LuDawg

LuDawg Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Great video! I had onced taken my old truck through a "touchless" car wash to test it out and the results were not to great so I never went back.

LuDawg

14. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

It's a shame, ONR is THE ONLY way i can succesfully wash my vette w/o instilling swirls