Torn between 2 worlds

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by JPMo, Aug 25, 2013.

1. JPMo

JPMo Virgin Detailer

Im looking at some pre-owned cars and I'm torn between a BMW 328 coupe/sedan or a quattro Audi A4. I really like the styling and aggressiveness of BMWs but the 2.0T coupled with AWD makes the Audi's performance potential so much greater. I've pretty much ruled out the 335 (unless I find a great deal) because of cost. What do you guys think?

2. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

In terms of reliability and long-term cost, I think the BMW328 will be a lot less if its the RWD model, over the more expensive, more expensive to maintain Audi A4.
    Having been working out of a BMW/Audi/Volkswagen Independent Repair Shop, I see the horror stories associated with Audi vehicles all the time. Especially if they have not been maintained over and above the basic requirements.
    To make it even more interesting (expensive), they like to put everything in modules and this requires much more labor to fix things.

I just found out last week that the timing belt on certain models is located between the back of the engine and the transmission, requiring the Tech to have to pull out the engine and transmission to service the timing belt... Not pretty on the wallet...

Another big problem is that the oil manufacturers are putting in way less ppm of zinc and manganese additives into motor oil in an effort to not kill the Cats too soon, and the direct effect that has on the engine components is accelerating wear, especially if long intervals are being used. Synthetic oil is not going to save them either because they also have less additives..

Audi cars, seen by this excellent Independent Shop seem to have had way longer oil change intervals, which is wearing out engines faster especially on those that are turbocharged...

So, please be careful and demand you see all the maintenance records available before you sign on the dotted line....

If I had to pick the nicest looking car and then the nicest Interior of either car, it would always be the Audi because the difference is obvious to me..

They are going to be more nose heavy because of the Quattro, and will never be able to keep up with a BMW in twisties, unless it is pouring down rain, etc., when the Quattro shines, and the RWD BMW has all it can handle.

The BMW is going to have more of a "driving experience" because of the way they design their cars. They are not as concerned about the Interiors as much as Audi is, but they have never disappointed me in the 14 years I have been around them and owned many new and used Bimmers...

Paint wise, both marques have very nice paint with the Audi having perhaps a harder paint which is good for scratches but then harder perhaps to remove them unless you are a really good Detailer like me..:)

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

3. JPMo

JPMo Virgin Detailer

Thanks for your great insight! It is much appreciated

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I'm a bmw guy, and even though I like Audi styling, I never pulled a trigger buying one. I have 2 bmw's - '04 325 Ci and '09 X5 4.8i. I absolutely love these cars to death. Ultimate driving machine handles like a dre am. It's not the cheapest to maintain, but honestly is worth it. Keep in mind that bmw maintains their cars for 4 years/50k miles, which mean you can buy them with confidence knowing everything was maintained on time. Also, there is no timing belt, it is chain driven, which means it will kot cost you a few grand to change a timing belt...and bmw holds its value better then other german rivals. My choice is obvious.