Tire Shine Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by KlineS157, May 14, 2012.

1. KlineS157

KlineS157 Birth of a Detailer

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on the topic. I have a very hard time get my customers car’s tires to finish correctly. The problem seems to be the product(s) appear to soak into the tire and produce a blotchy or absent finish.

I’ve tried several different products including:

Prima Nero
    Opti bond
    Hyper Dressing
    Some Turtle Wax Brand I had lying around
    Megs Endurance Gel

All the products seem to do the same thing except for the Megs but I don’t like using it, because it leaves the tire to shiny and greasy. My personal cars I use Nero and it looks great, but I have a constant coating of it on the tire and it gets re-applied bi-weekly at the normal wash stage. I can even wash the tire and it doesnt go away. I'm guessing its because the customers cars dont have anything on them and if i would or they would apply it more frequently then it would be ok, but most customers dont care enough to apply it themselves. I'm not interested in having last as much as i want a decent product at delievery. If they like the way the tires looks, they will continue to apply it at home during the normal wash stage.

I tried letting the product sit on the tires for up to 5 mins and then rubbing them into the tire with a microfiber, this method looks great for about 5 mins then I need to re-apply 1-2 more times and it seems to hold up nicely in the garage until I back it out in the sun, and then it disappears again. Then I can apply 1-2 more times and it looks “OK” for delivery but then I see the car the next day and it looks bad again.

Am I doing something wrong or is everyone else applying tire shine 5-6 times per car too.

2. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Sorry if I missed this, but what are you cleaning the tires with??

3. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Some tires; particularly new ones don't like dressing. As far as I know there is an oily coating on all new tires. I guess I would just keep scrubbing the hell out of the sidewalls until they get a bit roughened up and lose their oily residue that is repelling the dressing.

Perhaps a degreasser (or dish soap) will do the trick that APC won't?

4. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I know Richy loves the purple Zep for tires. I'm sure that would remove the coating on new tires. I know my snow tires do NOT like dressings. Kuhmo tires don't either from what I have noticed.

5. richy

richy Guest

Matt is right. I have never had an issue with blotchiness or whatever, but I clean them with Zep Purple at 4:1 and scrub them hard. I also make sure they are totally dry before dressing them. For instance, if I've got the car for a few days, I'll wash and do the outside stuff first and won't dress the tires till the next night, usually 24 or more hours later. So, clean and dry makes the difference for me. I also use Opti Bond but have also used DG Tire Shine and Megs Endurance and DP high gloss gel to name a few over the years. OB is what i use now primarily.

6. KlineS157

KlineS157 Birth of a Detailer

Thanks guys, i wash the tires but usually just with whatever soap is left in the bucket, i'll start using apc and a scrub brush and see if that makes any difference. I usually dont have the luxary of having the car for more then a day, but tires are the last thing i do before i deliver the vehicle, maybe i can aim a small box fan at each tire for a couple mins before applying the tire shine. I know the surface of the tires is dry before i apply the tire shine but that doesnt mean the pours are.

Thanks, again i'll give those suggestions a try this weekend.

7. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Scrub them with a good APC I've been using CG orange degreaser and it really cleans up tires nice, giving them a good scrub should help whatever tire dressing you are applying look a lot better without the blotchiness.

8. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Use a leaf blower on the wheels and tires, dries up perfectly.

9. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Kilo6 taking out (Tangos) lefty style......................like me(Love the avatar)...........................oh back on topic, as Richy said the tires need to be stripped of all dirt /silicones/old dressings to have whatever dressing you utilize to be evenly absorbed on the tire.

Lefthanded people are "Right minded".

10. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

LOL..... you noticed that? Yeah, im a lefty.

Some tire companies actually use a product called tire black, its sort of a paint, they spray it on the tire at the tire shops to make them look.......... well black. So you could be dealing with that, or if its a Nitto, its got like a waxy coating on it, those are the worst.

11. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Zep purple by far is the best tire cleaner ive ever used.

12. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

Zep Purple FTW!

13. bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic Any Rag Vehicle Washer

To bring up an old thread. I have been looking into trying this stuff. One of my customers uses it and it seems to last forever. Been currently using CG Tire Gel with great results. Will probably pickup a bottle soon. Anyone have any other reviews too share?