Tire dressing... which one lasts the longest

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by spK, Oct 17, 2009.

1. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

So fellow DB members,

I love optimum tire dressing during summer says, it stays semi-glossy for a few weeks. Now the wet season is here and the tire dressing doesn't hold up when driving through the rain :(

What do you guys recommend for a good tire dressing that is kind of water proof.

I've tried layers of OPT tire dressing or layers of megs HD, neither of them last long enough.

Need some input from the DB community!

Thanks!

2. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

my two favorite ones right now that i've tried...

Swissvax Pneu/Tropicare tire dressing version 1 (basically not the newer one). This is my go-to tire dressing. It never fails me.

The gloss-it one is slightly glossier than the SV pneu. It goes on the same, but it's a different product for sure. They're both very nice. I'd get the gloss-it one if it weren't so expensive. I dislike the OPT one because it goes on greasier than pneu. I haven't tried HD yet, but I'm about to get some.

3. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

The only tire dressing I know of to last for months and not days or weeks is Tuf Shine. It is not a dressing but a sealant.

4. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Any more info on Tuf Shine? Ive never heard anything about it before?

5. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

Hmm, kinda wanna try tropicare.

Anyone know how it holds when driving through rain?

I like OPT, might be greasy but you buff it off with a mf after you apply it.

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

another vote for Tropi-Care White Pearl and Swissvax Pneu.

7. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Tropi Care FTMFW!

8. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

9. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

iv heard of it a few times. it comes up every now and again when talking about dressings. Supposedly Tuf Shine is like a clear coat for your tires. i was thinking of trying it until i read about several people that had bonding issues with it. supposedly the tires need to be near perfectly clean to get it to bond correctly. again this is just from doing research on the product and i have not used it myself.

10. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

PM dust2glory. he might be able to get you a deal on the tropi care

11. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

Tropicare White Pearl holds up very well in the rain. Even after scrubbing the tires, they retain that matte look.

Chemical Guys VRP is pretty nice as well

12. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

Got tropicare sample from Heath.
    Willing to try others too!

Need something that last!

13. GDAL

GDAL Guest

believe or not I have had great sucess with Megs Endurance. Darkstar showed me how he applies it and lets it dwell for minutes. Then he proceeds to buff it and it looks pretty good. I usually lasts me 3 weeks on my daily driver.

My fav. dressing is the Zaino one, but it's expensive. Ardex sells a tire dressing (Affinity) that produces similiar results, but it's a little too watery for my taste. It's fairly cheap, so I really don't mind. I'm doing a reliability test as we speak.

My next purchase is going to be the Tropi-Care White Peark. BTW ... is tropi-care going to stop making the version 1?

14. Cleaning Fool

Cleaning Fool Birth of a Detailer

Tuf Shine is the longest lasting Ive used and its not even close. Yes, you need your tire degreased and clean prior to application, but to me not a big deal.

15. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

No, I don't know who started that rumor but it's not true at all. Steve loves how White Pearl is now. But he is trying out a new formula that is thicker and has a lemon scent to it. He gave me a sample of it and i've been trying it out on my roommate's car. Seems to work pretty well so far, but it's pretty damn thick. Thicker than the CG VRP :yikes:

16. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

Just looked at Tuf Shine pictures, tooo glossy for my taste.

Anyone know where to get 32oz of tropicare? I only see 1gal on their website and that's too much.

17. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

I ran into steve yesterday at a buddy of mines shop, picked up a small bottle of the white pearl, and ended up really liking it. Look is perfect, durability I guess we'll find out.

18. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

19. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Tropi Care is my go to tire dressing now. It has a great look, nice matte black, and last longer than any water based dressing I have used.

They do not come in 32oz bottle, may be able to ask Steve if he can do a 32oz deal. He was able to bottle me a 16oz of citrus wash when I was looking for it.

20. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I actually like both versions of the tropi-care tire dressing mixed together @ 50/50. Looks good on the Benz I'm working on now.