Tire Damage From Wheel Cleaning

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by froboy272, Jun 16, 2011.

1. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

Just cleaned one of my rims since the tire got a screw in it and was off the car anyway. I used the last of my brown royal 2:1, Autoglym CWC Straight, Iron X, and Tarminator. I believe that one of these cleaners damaged the tire itself while it was resting on the ground. I have used brown royal and CWC before and not had this problem. this was the first time i used Iron X and Tarminator. Do these really have the ability to do this kind of damage from sitting on the driveway in a wet area where the cleaners were used?

I sprayed BR on the rim face and front of tire, let sit 1 minute, agitated, rinsed. Then sprayed CWC, let sit 1 minute, agitated and rinsed. Then flipped the tire over and did the same process on the back of the wheel. Then flipped back to use Iron X on the front, agitated, rinsed, and flipped to do the same on the back. The back was face up for a while at this point to use tarminator on the barrels. The damage in the photo below is on both sides of the tire though. It makes a perfect circle in the center of the tire all the way around. The edge also looks like dry rot or something. The tire had neither of these issues before this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I can't see your pics.

3. froboy272

Thanks Ken. I think they should work now.

4. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

It has nothing to do with cleaners. The tire was drive under inflated before you found the screw. The corner are worn because of under inflated. and the line around the sidewall also indicate you have driven it under inflated. I would replace this tire ASAP, knowing how road are in NYC.

5. froboy272

you think so? Its a perfect circle and i didn't notice it b4 i started cleaning. i mean i wasn't paying much attention but i feel like i would have seen the circle in the center of my tire.

I also didn't drive very far at all. I was out somewhere for hours...came out and started driving home. heard the flat tire sound and pulled into a gas station. No more than 1/4 mile or so.

6. Frankastic

yes sir, thats enough to damage a tire. I deal with tires everyday in the dealership, so thats what I can see from your picture and story.

7. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

yeah, that is from under inflation or you could have curbed something too and the tire barely scuffed the curb......

Only way to tell if there is internal damage is dismount the tire and look inside, if their is black rubber powder the tire is permanently damaged and should be disposed of.

8. Frankastic

Let say 1st day the nail got there, and your tires suppose to be at 35 psi. overnight it would be 25 psi, you start driving at 25 psi w/o knowing then that will start damaging the tire. then next day it will be at 20 psi and it sits. the third day its flat at 15 psi when you come around cleaning it.

9. froboy272

oh man. not good. this car was at the dealership for 2 days prior so i would not have been driving it around to notice or not. I drove to the bar without noticing anything, came out and drove away and heard it was flat. i mean this was a serious screw when i put air in the tire at the gas station to get it home i could hear air leaking out after i had it filled up again.

10. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I'm agree 100% with the others on this one. The perfect circle is the first indicator it was driven that way. I would blame the chemicals if it was patchy and not uniform. There is also a date code on the tire. Lets say they were made in February of 2010 then the code would be 0610 which means it was made in the 6th week of 2010. That is usually found after the tire size, but only on one side of the tire. I say that because your tire also looks a little old. A newer tire would wear differently on the edge if ran low, yours shows signs of the rubber breaking down from age.

11. froboy272

Thank you for the info. you guys were correct. the guy that owns the gas station next to my store just plugged the tire and put it back on the car for me. The first thing he said was "oh you ran this thing while it was flat huh?" but he says it has no bubbles or anything so i will be fine. Tires are 3 years old and have 25k on them. Next set will be michilin primacy mxv4's. Everyone says they are amazingly quiet and smooth with good tread life.

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter