Tire Browning

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Reflect, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I recently had to clean my tires with Tarminator to get rid of the rest of that crappy tire dressing that the dealership used. By far the hardest stuff I have ever had to remove. I have some browning near the ridges in the tire, near the tread now. Any idea how to remove this stuff?

2. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

It's probablly the tire's built-in wax protection and not anything that Tarminator left behind.

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Any ideas how to remove it? I might try some tire shine but I'm afraid that it'll just mask it.

4. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

It's the anti-ozone stuff that's bulit into the tire. If you remove one layer, more will just come up after the next wash. Just put your tire shine on and the tires will be black again. I don't think there is anything you can do to permanently remove it.

5. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

post up a photo if you can or PM me a photo. Living out here in Hawaii we experience some of the harshest tire browning due to the infamous "Red Dirt" that stuff is horrible and stains badly. I clean my car enough though that it doesn't effect me.

I use Westley's Bleach White and that strips everything . . . . . dirt, grime, tire dressing. You would be amazed at how much crap comes off your tire.

6. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I have used Bleche White for years with great results. I haven't had the need to try anything else and it's pretty cheap. I buy it by the gallon at CarQuest.

7. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

for sure. i haven't seen it in a gallon size yet here in Hawaii but when i do i'm snagging me up one. I buy them in the 64 oz containers so two of those is a gallon and they are like $7 ea or something along those lines.

It is the best stuff for tires i have tried yet. A buddy of mine told me about that and i honestly thought that it was just going to be another so so product . . . . . turns out it was great!

8. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I use Optimum Power Clean full strength and some scrubbing.

9. G:Luv

G:Luv Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've had good luck using Meg's APC+ at the 4:1 strength with a tire scrub brush. As a previous poster said, applying a new layer of dressing will also hide any residual browning & make them black again.

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The brown 'stain' (blooming) that keeps bleeding through the tyre is its protection, so its not something you' want to eliminate

Antiozonant

[: a chemical compound that prevents or slows down the degradation of material caused by ozone gas in the air (ozone cracking)] [1]

Also known as anti-ozonant, they are used as additives to plastics and rubber, especially in tyre manufacturing.

If you were to see rubber going into a tyre factory, it would be grey, not black. Untreated tyres would have a very short life if they weren't protected against the elements and the environment, so amongst other ingredients, Carbon Black is added during the manufacturing process.

a) Carbon Black- protects the tyre against ultra violet radiation (UVR) by absorbing them and converting them into heat so it can be diffused safely. But the Carbon Black has a limited life-span because, as it does its job, it diminishes itself. As carbon black loses the ability to do its job, it turns gray. This is why rubber greys as it ages. When it is no longer there to protect the tyre, the original grey rubber colour starts to reappear.

b) Antiozonants- along with carbon black, the tyre manufacturer mixes in antiozonant and other protective ingredients to repel ozone from the rubber. These waxes and polymers migrate through the tyre at a molecular level to form a barrier against harmful ozone. As the tyres move (with the car being driven) the rubber flexes and heats up, allowing tiny amounts of the wax to surface. When a vehicle is not being driven (i.e. classic show cars, winter storage, etc) then without this action and the rubber can easily dry out and rot.

c) Blooming - after the antiozonant works its way to the outside of the tyre and is exposed to the ozone in the air, it oxidizes and turns brown. The technical term for this effect is blooming. Many chemical compounds, especially solvents, react vigorously at ambient temperatures as the oxidizing process takes place between water and the tyre polymer-binding agents. Water tends to wash away the natural oils and micro-waxes that help to maintain the tyres flexibility

d) Solvents - Michelin, Bridgestone, Firestone and most other tyre companies advise against the use of Dimethal solvent tyre dressings (non-water based) because they leach the rubber additives to the tyre surface, which then removes the elasticity from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate and could result in premature drying and cracking, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface.

An extract from - http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/detailing-school/7799-tyre-cleaning-care.htm

11. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

There is some great information in this thread, but every tire make and model will be formulated slightly differently which may impact the speed and severity of the browning. It is just the natural process of the rubber but I agree, it looks terrible if left undressed!