Tips for cleaning engine bay in a Ford GT?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by bonehead, Mar 28, 2013.

1. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Cover parts, don't cover anything. I've heard the gambit of what to do and what not to do. Safe thing to do is just wipe it down with a damp microfiber. Using APC and then agitating with brushes would be ideal. But can it be safely rinsed off? Don't like the idea of just wiping it down with that stuff and just leaving it. Not overly dirty, but enough that it looks awful, esp since the engine is so easily visible.

So, for those that have worked on these cars, can the engine bay be safely hosed down (not under pressure)? If so, do you need to cover anything?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tweaked

Tweaked Two Bucket System Washer

From what I know, the majority of engines from any manufacturer are weather tight. Rinsing an engine down after cleaning doesn't effect it the same way it did back when distributors and basic coils were used.

I'd bag the alternator, take a note of where the air intake inlet is (as to avoid it), and just keep an eye out for electrical components that don't look weather tight.

That all being said, the most important thing after rinsing an engine is to allow it plenty of time to dry. It's just water after all, but if not given ample time to dry, it could potentially cause issues. If it does have an issue, these typically subside with additional drying time.

3. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Put your knee on the tire and brace your arm on the alu. frame and clean as needed with the other hand

4. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Most of the high end cars I work on don't have filthy engines like typical daily drivers. I usually spray them down with ONR and go at it with a microfiber.

If you must hose it down make sure to blow the water out of all the crevices.

5. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

Wipe it all down by hand, safest way. MF towels and assortment of brushes and some APC or ONR mix works fine.

6. The Driver

The Driver Birth of a Detailer

Bag off the intakes and alternator, then load up an atomizer with onr and spray it down. The atomizer is way more controlled and alot less volume, then just wipe down sections that don't run clean.

For real grimey sections use some car-pro trix, let it sit and spray it down with an atomizer loaded with apc, then follow up with straight distilled water.

7. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the advice, guys. Wasn't too bad in there, so I ended up just using detailing spray and a MF. I'll probably go with some APC next time around and use a spray bottle with water to rinse it off.