Thoughts on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by loudog2, Nov 5, 2009.

1. loudog2

loudog2 Two Bucket System Washer

I had it, but re-turned it. People on forums are having trouble installing the new OS. I have a Dell XPS 420 and some of my programs(ex. ATI HD 3650) need to be uninstalled and re-installed.

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have been running Win7 for a few months now, Win7 Pro 64-bit, and have had no issues with software, drivers or anything. I did do a clean installation so I would not have issues with trying to upgrade from Vista but none the less I am very happy with it. System speed has increased and so has stability of the OS. Running on a Dell d830 computer.

3. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

I'm still running the RC right now, haven't bothered to upgrade to the real thing yet.

But I'm loving it so far. Starts super quick (besides the dual boot screen), stability is good, rarely ever freezes or crashes. However, I have had problems trying to install drivers from an old printer, but I think that has more to do with the fact that i'm running 64-bit OS instead of the 32-bit.

I'll admit I'm using it more than my ol iBook G4 :gasp:

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I'm on the fence, and I don't think I'll be doing the upgrade. I'm running XP SP3 and it's steady as fook on my GX755.

Next computer will be a Macbook.

5. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

it is junk.

any time MS tries to make things more intuitive they mess up. if you want an example run windows 7 or vista.

6. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I have it. Runs awesome, much smoother than Vista. The stuff they added in is pretty cool as well. No issues installing it, no issues getting the printer to transfer. The only "freezing" problem I have is with IE, which is it's own problem and not W7. I'm glad I upgraded.

7. loudog2

loudog2 Two Bucket System Washer

So if I do the clean install I have to save all settings to my external HD? Will all the setting transfer over without issue(like Itunes and etc). It says I would need to uninstall Itunes, then re-install it. Just like my graphics card.

8. MisterShark

MisterShark Birth of a Detailer

I'm sure many have found ways to get Win7 cheaply if not entirely free, but for those that have not found a way to get it on the cheap, you can get a student rate if you have a school email account (ends in '.edu') for $29.99.

Microsoft Student - Windows 7

9. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

I like 7, I've had zero problems ever with my XP machine and only a couple annoying things with Vista that I was able to turn off (I don't need my operating system to be idiot proof). But 7 seems overall better and faster.

I did a full wipe and install of the 7 beta when it first came out on a 10 year old laptop and it ran like a champ on it. I just did an upgrade on my newer laptop from Vista to 7 and it seems to run faster and smoother. Sometime I may get brave and do a full wipe and install of the 64 bit version of it.
    It kills me that 64 bit processors have been out for so long and still most all software is 32 bit.

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Yeah, I got mine free from MSDN education system.

11. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Works fine for me, I've had W7 installed since beta/RC/pre-release. We actually got a hold of W7 Pro before normal consumers did through our school's MSDNAA program.

Care to explain more? Hard to understand where you're coming from if all you say is "it is junk" without any valid reason as to why. :shead:

12. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

I've been running W7 since closed beta, lol. Pre open beta. I've loved it from the very beginning.

Loads fast
    Runs fast
    Backwards compatibility works pretty well
    "Windows XP Mode"
    Taskbar Preview

All in all, a very polished OS. If you haven't learned by now, skip every other generation of windows releases! ME was terrible, skipped it. Then XP was GREAT, then Vista, skipped it, then 7 is GREAT.

13. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

Gonna install this on a Mac just for the hell of it.

14. dionnfr

dionnfr Birth of a Detailer

I agree whole heartley, 7 works fantastic, have it on my netbook, laptop and desktop. Recommend a clean install and all will be fine.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

15. Charlies02GLS

Charlies02GLS Jedi Nuba

I like it quite alot, have the 7100 (RC) build at the lab but mostly I run in Ubuntu there. Here at home I've got 64-bit Ultimate (5 bucks more when I upgraded versus professional).
    XP mode is also a big bonus since it allows me to run a 32-bit VPN client since Cisco, for whatever reason, refuses to release a 64-bit VPN client. I'm still exploring all the features but so far it's great, leaps and bounds better than vista (though...that's not saying much is it?).

16. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I've been shopping for laptops here lately, and as a result, I've had a lot of interaction with Win7. I really like it. It's a small thing, but the new tricks for arranging windows, showing the desktop, alt-tab, and similar UI stuff, all works really well.

To be fair, I'm typing this from a Vista machine, and have never understood why everyone hates it so much. I turned off the UAC nagging, disabled some of the eye candy, and it's basically just like XP now. This happens to be a pretty stout gaming-class Dell XPS, though, so perhaps it's a fast enough machine that I just don't notice Vista's issues.

BTW, as a side note, I ordered a Sony Vaio NW tonight. It'll have Win 7 64 bit on it. I'm quite looking forward to it.

17. kei169

kei169 Wax on..Wax off

Man! the 64 bits run hella cool!
    I love the window 7!

18. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

64-bit is the way to go if you have program that can use it. You'll love the new computer...dont forget to detail it! Use some of the 1z on the screen and a nice coat of RBOE on the body :) haha

19. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Out of curiosity Karl, what XPS are you running that has Vista?

20. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

Better than Vista - installed it on our office computers - but still not near as good as Mac (home network)

Andy