Thoughts on CarPro Perl coat

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by DJBAILEY, Aug 20, 2011.

1. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

I have only tried this as a tire dressing. No experience trying it as a trim dressing. At first I did not care for Perl. There seemed to be hardly no durability. The shine was gone after a days worth of driving, but it did still bead water impressively. It did not seem like it would last anywhere close to the 3 month durability claims. Then after playing with it on a few tires I have come to the realization that this is not a 1 coat and done dressing. After applying 3-4 coats on consectutive days you seem to build up enough of a layer that the satin shine remains. You must have to load up the surface until there is no longer any absorbtion going on. I found UTTG the same way on tires that the product absorbs alot for the first 2 coats and then evens out with a 3rd/4th coat. UTTP is impressive as a tire dressing, but I have to do multiple coats before I was happy with it. So I found it too expensive as a tire dressing except for use on my own car. Its my #1 trim dressing though.

Well after doing 4 coats of Perl on my pickup (Kelly tires) and 3 coats on my wife's minivan (Goodyear tires) that lovely satin sheen has remained for 3+ weeks and both have been driven in several rain storms. The only degradation I see are where scuff marks have occurred.

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I would have to agree with that.

I've only applied a couple coats on my semi-faded rear windshield wiper stock..thanks for the tip, I'll apply more.

3. dankfanatic

dankfanatic DB Forum Supporter

+1 on the multiple coats of PERL. it holds up muuuuch longer if you put 3-4 coats on your tires.

4. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i usualy put it on once. my tires have smooth surface so it spreads nicely

5. v|nsan|ty

v|nsan|ty Obsessive Detailer

Are you guys applying Perl straight with a foam applicator? Do you moisten the applicator with water before applying?

6. DJBAILEY

I am using a tire swipe sponge and also a cheap bristle paint brush to get into any heavily grooved or notched areas on the face of the tire like corner bead where the tread and sidewall meet. I spray the Perl onto the swipe and with the brush I spray a few squirts into a painting cup and dip the brush into it.

7. DJBAILEY

I do not moisten the applicator with water. Using a 2 part Perl to 1 part distilled water mixture.