Taking the G55 off-road...

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by P1et, Mar 14, 2011.

1. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

It's been a garage queen all its life, and only gets driven on the weekend, but my buddy decided it was time to see what this thing could do. And frankly, it did it all. Amazing piece of machinery...

We took off the 22" Brabus wheels, and swapped them with a beater set of OEM AMG 19" wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Those are a beast I would say very under rated when it comes to actual trail use. Looks like fun.

3. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Looks like a lot of fun. You are right, what a machine it is. Front locking dif, center locking dif, and rear locking dif will help you take it just about anywhere. By the way, it could use some cleaning once you are done...hint, hint...

4. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

I have to admit, I cringed a bit when I saw the pics...much different than the garage pics with the Swisswax on the hood.

LOL @ "beater" AMG 19's...

I guess it is all part of the fun... now you get to clean it up!

Thanks for sharing.

5. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

GELDAWAGEN! (one word sums up everything)

6. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

spare AMG wheels FTW!

7. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

ssiiiiiccckkkkk.

8. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I sense multiple pre-foams in the G's near future?

Very cool pics, that is a pretty iconic SUV, as in, baller status!

9. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Very cool pics I never pictured these handling well off road

10. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Great pictures, awesome car.

11. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Great pics thanks for sharing.Definately baller status and VERY capable and underrated for what it can do.BUT,Damn that thing is ugly.Sorry.LOL

12. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

You need some meat on those tires! That looks like great fun though, can't wait to take my jeep out for a walk in the woods :p

13. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Love the truck, need more pics of the girl, and needs a lift.

14. pushtiulk

pushtiulk DB Forum Supporter

Great pics. G Classe is one of the best off road car. A friend of mine has a G400 CDI modified for the national off road championship and it's a beast :)

15. P1et

It doesn't need any larger tires as that's not what held it back. The G500/G550 has an extra inch of clearance, and doesn't have those dual exhaust pipes on each side... Those pipes were the only obstacle we had, having to stuff rocks behind the wheels to prevent any damage from occuring.

16. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Very nice pictures

17. jaynick808

jaynick808 Virgin Detailer

thank god im not the only one! lol..i know its expensive and off road capable but imo its tacky and ugly as hell..range rover sport s/c it is not. id rather take a modded suzuki samurai over this thing and paint it black and put some stick on chrome trim hahaha.

favorite line of this thread is "beater set of OEM AMG 19" wheels." props to your friend for taking the 55 offroading though. pretty ballin..and mustve been a lot of fun and cringing lol

18. P1et

Top Gear has a nice video on the G55 you should watch, and it described exactly why this vehicle is so lovely. Not only will it take you virtually anywhere, it'll look perfect in front of the W when you take your missus out for the evening. It's a luxurious SUV, that's not only show, but also GO. Not many other SUVs on the market will come anywhere close to being as capable as the G...

19. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Yeah the SUV market isn't what it used to be, especially in comparison to foreign countries. Diesel technology and hefty components are all over the place, i.e. Nissan Patrol which runs equivalent to Dana 60 axles in certain years. My Xterra is pretty good with a boxed frame, and especially the Offroad model with locking rear, but it isn't the same as the rest of the world. People want crossovers and comfort.

The G55 definitely has a lot of power and I'd assume the components are also strong especially with the lockers, but there's only so much power you need and can use in a DD/expedition vehicle. The big problem is ground clearance, and I'm not sure how many after market companies can remedy this. Definitely a solid start though, but lockers don't mean much when you're hung up on rocks.

20. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

here it is - YouTube - Top Gear Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG Kompressor