Swissvax Concorso, Zuffenhausen and Zymol Glasur

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Max405, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you find my post helpful. I am no expert here. Just another car guy with a passion for exquisitely detailed, extraordinary automobiles.

Zymol Glasur - By far the easiest to apply. Contrary to my previous experiences with Zymol waxes and the instructions from the manufacturer, it is very easy to remove and for me, it didnt require a second wipedown hours later. I love the smell (coconut) and the jar is typical Zymol great quality. Mine came with a certificate, black satin bag and thats it. NO applicator!!! Cheapest of the 3 and if you are on a budget and you want to treat your vehicle to a high end, special wax you cant go wrong here.

Swissvax Concorso - Easy to apply, A little gritty and it doesnt spread as smoothly as the Glasur. Smells glorious and if nothing else it makes you feel you are really treating your car to a "spa-like" treatment. Wipes off slightly easier than the Glasur and leaves a smoothness that I feel is slightly smoother than the Glasur, not much. I am in love. Not more can be said about this wax that hasnt already been said. When I first used it, I wondered whether it was a wax mixed with a sealant, because it had the glow of a nuba with the smooth sharpness of a sealant.

Swissvax Zuffenhausen - By far the sleeper of the group. A tiny bit easier to apply than Concorso (the lower Carnuba content doesnt require as much heat to spread and I dont spread on my barehands, I use an applicator). Just as easy to remove. It didnt seem as gritty as the concorso. That may change with time though. After wipedown, the smoothness, shine and clarity was just as good as all of the others. It had that same,"it could be a wax and it could be a sealant" look to it. The container was fine and the fit of the lid was good. Overall, I am impressed. I cant speeak for the longevity because I am a habitual re-applier and the car I pamper is garage kept and the only moisture it will ever see is Water mixed with Mothers California gold shampoo.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cant take a picture that that shows a difference between the waxes. I actually wished there would be a difference but there isnt. Believe it when anybody tells you, 95% of the shine is in the prep.

So if anybody wants to know, which one will I buy again? Well, There is enough wax here to last me forever. Because I am a wax Whore, I'll probably try something else in about 4 months. There are no winners and no losers here. Bottom line is, I'd buy any of the 3 again and not be dissapointed - Just as long as I have a bottle of Menzerna 085rd to use before hand...

Buy any or all 3 with Confidence. And if you are buying, speaking for myself, My personal experience with Phil at Detailers Domain was incredible. He is a GREAT guy and I highly recommend him. He is so generous with his time and experience. You cant go wrong.

Thanks for looking. Joe D

2. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

great review Joe! I'm glad your happy with your waxes! I'm surprised that you went all in and got both Porsche wax offerings lol! btw car looks great! How about some full car pics!

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Hmm nice reading. I am interested in Zymol Glasur, but Zuffenhausen has interested me. Anyone know of the durability of it compared to Glasur.

4. nothelle

nothelle Birth of a Detailer

Quite an investment you got there, glad you like them

5. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Glasur is an excellent wax. Especially on black. Haven't tried the other two, but have tried SV saphir in the past.

If you like Glasur, you need to try the Zymol Concours :D

6. impakt

impakt DB Forum Supporter

concorso had me at the smell.
    Once i started rubbing it in my palms to apply, I knew it was the perfect wax.

7. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

well writing. Yes, the smell of SV concorso just awesome. My next purchase will Zymol Glasur for sure. I am waiting special offer from Zymol :)

8. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

I have been looking for a expensive nuba, just to try out and have got my eyes on Glasur.

9. Max405

Ralph, Here ya go buddy.

[​IMG]

10. Max405

Thanks. I know its bound to happen, so I might as well start here..
    What is better about Concours over Glasur?

11. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

I keep forgetting to make a box for my Glasur now haha. You should give some SN a try Joe. You might like it like I do :)

12. Max405

I am still interested in hearing why you prefer Concours over Glasur?

13. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

I felt same way then I bought SV Blau Weiss. On easy, smells great, and has given my Imola Red M3 a depth and shine that I never had accomplished with other LSP's before. Maybe its in my head...but from the comments and compliments I get, I dont think it is.

Love the SV Stuff. Not cheap, but I love it.

14. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Gorgeous car and thanks for showing off both both the finish of your vehicle, along with a nice review.

I am surprised you had good luck with the lids on the Swissvax pots though. Both of mine have given me trouble, and any emails to Swissvax have gone unanswered.

15. Max405

P1et - Thanks so much for the Kudos on the car and finish. You obviously know what goes into keeping a car in perfect shape, so it means alot coming from you.

I think I figured out the problem with the lids. If you look at the 1st thread, it is larger and sticks out slightly further than the other 2 thus creating a circumference that is too big for the lid. Sort of like this:

>
    >
    >

I am starting to have a problem with the lid not fitting on my Zuffenhausen and the Concorso lid is cracked already (currently using a P21s lid, embarrasing...). I will let you know how my experiment goes when I "hone" down the 1st thread. I am certain that is going to fix the problem. I think as the wax dries on the threads, it creates a Rock hard buildup on the thread that makes it worsen over time.

I knew about the issue with the containers, but it didnt stop me from buying a new pot of Zuffenhausen. I really am crazy about Swissvax.

Thanks, Joe D

16. Max405

Hey Joey
    I dont think its in your head. If other people are commenting on it, its going in there eyes and into there heads too. I definitely think the 3 waxes I wrote about are better than most of the others I've tried. I notice a glow about the car that other people notice too..

An Imola Red M3.. Wow! That must look incredible.

Thanks, Joe D

17. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

I do loves me some Concorso :). I've had mine for about 1.5 years now and it's almost time to get another one. Good stuff!

18. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Joe D, I think you would have really enjoyed using Swissvax Insignis!

19. Max405

One thing that I noticed about all the Swissvax that I've tried is after you apply and remove, the shine gets much better when you leave the car in direct sun for a couple of hours. I noticed this the other day. This is actually noted in the Swissvax handbook. And there is no Static that attracts every dust and pollen particle in the air. Also, after the SV cures on the paint, it is difficult to tell whether you have applied a wax or a sealant. the shine is crystal clear and deep, not milky.

I think it is manditory to apply the higher % carnuba Swissvaxes with your bare hands. I think the lack of chemical solvents in the product require that you absolutely need the heat from your hands to apply the wax effectively. I look at my pad when I apply Zuffenhausen and there is NO gritty residue left. When I look at the pad after I apply Concorso there pieces of the wax still on the pad. If I remove the pieces and heat them up with the body heat from my fingers, they melt down. If I take that melted residue and apply it to the car there is a notable difference in the shine in that area. This leads me to believe that the majority of Concorso (and perhaps the higher carnuba % SV waxes) are being wasted if they were applied by a regular pad. More to come.

Also, as part of my own personal test, I applied Glasur to the left side of my hood and Zuffenhausen to the right. I honestly think the sheeting was better in my case on the Zuff side. I really should prove such a claim with more testing. But I dont have the time or the patience for such involved testing. I was intially unbiased. Now I am not. Thats enough for me. For what its worth, the Zuffenhausen won me over.

Dont get me wrong. Glasur is a GREAT wax. But this brand new pot will probably be in the launched position very soon.

Joe D.

20. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

If that means your selling your Glasur, hit me up and ill gladly take it off your hands. Been thinking about buying a pot for a while now!